1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i unlock xbox hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by cabbot, May 14, 2005.

1. oregan

oregan Member

I AM TOLD THE CODE TO UNLOCK THE HDD IS IN THE XBOX CASE,I HAVE HDDS EX XBOX MACHINES,BUT NO CASES .I LEFT A MESSAGE EARLIER TO SEE IF ANYONE KNEW IF THE CODE WAS ON THE HDD .ON THE HDD THERE IS A SERIAL/NO,P/NO,HDAP/NO,CONFIGURATION LEVEL NO,AND A CONFIGURATION CODE NO. 5 DIFFERENT NOS IN TOTAL. COULD YOU HAVE A LOOK AT YOUR CASE AND SEE IF THE CODE MATCHES ANY NO ON THE HDD PLEASE AND POST IT ON THE THREAD. CHEERS.

2. philmccan

philmccan Guest

Hi all here is what happened to me maybe it was a fluke . I preped a hard drive for my xbox with xboxhdm afterwards I found out it was not lockable. I put in back in my computer and win xp could not reconize it .So I went and pulled out my computers hard drive and replaced it with the fouled up xbox one, xp did not reconize the file system but it did format it to ntfs . That left me with no lost hard drives and all working . anybody try this themselves and have diffrent results ?

3. tabingam

tabingam Member

oregan: the unlock code is stored in the chipset (southbridge). You have to pull the code using a program like that in evox, which reads it and stores it in a file on the hard drive so that you can use it later to manually lock or unlock it.

4. jas98235

jas98235 Member

i have almost exactly the same problem but with mines i softmodded it and it was working fine but i used slayers auto installer to install some apps because i couldnt find them anywhere else and when it was done i restartes my xbox and i get erroe message 21 and it flashes red and green!? is there any way to fix this??? i have the unlock code for my hard drive if that will help any? please help!!!

5. zoah

zoah Member

Ok i need some major help fast PLEASE i would ever be so greatful ok well my xbox went to junk woul dnot turn on.... now i just want to get my music that i have on the harddrive off of it stright on to my PC but the problem is that when i put my harddrive on the slave and i turn on my computer it tells me that there was an error on my primary slave and to puch F1 to resume now it does reconizes it.. it is there but when i click onto My computer its not there? what am i to do?

6. tabingam

tabingam Member

Sounds like the drive is locked. Do you have the password stored somewhere so you can use an unlock tool like XBOXHDM?

7. zoah

zoah Member

how would i find this password u speak of?

8. tabingam

tabingam Member

Had you installed a hardware or software mod prior to the system failure?
    If you installed any mods, you may have backed up a copy of the password during the process. If not, and your system is completely down, you may be screwed. The password is encrypted in a chip on the motherboard. There are tools that can capture the password, but only if your system is working. Your HD password is unique and keyed to your motherboard. If you can't get your system working again with your motherboard and hard drive, chances are you are screwed.
    There are sites that will repair your XBox. Maybe it is just a Power Supply failure, in which case you could fix the XBox and then you will have access to your files.

9. zoah

zoah Member

ty ever so much yea im screwed lmao

10. jas98235

jas98235 Member

can anyone help me?

11. tabingam

tabingam Member

21 is a non-specific error. Will it load any game disks, if so you can use one of the game exploits to reload your soft-mod.

12. tabingam

tabingam Member

Zoah, possible hope for you yet. Here is a copy of another post I came across. It is hardware specific, so you need this drive for this particular file to work, but the whole firmware update trick may work on other drives as well. It should allow you to access the files on your drive from your PC, given you also load the XBox drivers, I think, but it would render the drive unusable by your XBox. Not that it would matter if your XBox is dead anyway.
    ---------------------------------

Lowtech found the answer for the rubber jacketed Seagate ST310211A 10GB drive.

Download firmw.rar and unpack it, then boot to a dos boot disc with the files from the archive on it.

There must be four files in addition to the system boot files on the boot disc:

u5339.ovl
    u5339.fls
    u5339.crt
    sf.exe

Plug your Seagate into an available IDE channel

Execute the command "SF -v -f U5339 -m U5"

It will scan all channels for the drive and when it finds it, it will flash it with the same firmware that is already on it. This has a side effect of the drive becoming unlocked.

13. DynaFlat

DynaFlat Member

Your kidding right?! Geez man, I hope this works. That's the kind of answer that people need to hear. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. If was really concerned about the xbox, I wouldn't need to be, the're extremly cheap now.

Buttttt!1!!!!1...... .. .

Here's a another thread about the same Lowtech...

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=451129&st=0

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  14. kingabis

kingabis Member

15. X_Gam3r

X_Gam3r Member

Hi,Something is rong with my xbox.I go to boxplorer and i move files to oder directories in my pesonal folder than i quit.And now a can't go to my boxpoler to fix than plsease tell me how to fix than my dvd-player on xbox dashboard is gone is in red light and have no nothing on my dekstop .Now i have only one picture it is very ugly :p..........
    Please if someone now how to skip in lunch menu serch drive/e tell mi becouse i dont have acsess to drive/e SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH BUT IM FROM BULOGARIA AND I DI|ONT SPEEK VERY GOOD ENGLISH THANKS ANYWAY:p HAVE FUN WITH YOUR XBOX's :p BYE People

16. X_Gam3r

X_Gam3r Member

Hi,Something is rong with my xbox.I go to boxplorer and i move files to oder directories in my pesonal folder than i quit.And now a can't go to my boxpoler to fix than plsease tell me how to fix than my dvd-player on xbox dashboard is gone is in red light and have no nothing on my dekstop .Now i have only one picture it is very ugly :p..........
    Please if someone now how to skip in lunch menu serch drive/e tell mi becouse i dont have acsess to drive/e SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH BUT IM FROM BULOGARIA AND I DI|ONT SPEEK VERY GOOD ENGLISH THANKS ANYWAY:p HAVE FUN WITH YOUR XBOX's :p BYE People
    MY E-AMIL IS MSCMEAT@ABV.BG

17. mickrick

mickrick Member

Sounds like you have moved the system (Dashboard) files from the default location and now the box cannot boot up. Is the Xbox modified, either through hardware or software? If so, you may be able to run Slayers latest autoinstaller disc and do a retail restore.

18. cdodge

cdodge Member

I have discovered something that i though might be of interest to ANYONE with error 16 on their x box. It's impossible to fix they say, unless the microsoft logo shows during bootup. I have discovered a very simple work around, that works very well. I fixed an error sixteen this morning. It all revolves around the hard drive lock problem. Anybody who has had this issue has found alot of people saying, "now it's just a paperweight. Buy a new one or hard mod it." Not true. You can use the hard drive swap method to reinstall your xbox, no matter if the microsoft logo shows or not. The trick (Posted Here First!!) is to simply unplug the cdrom drive from the ide cable, and boot the xbox normally, Instead of an error 16, you get an error 11, saying DVD drive not found. Interestingly, when you get an error 11, THE HARD DRIVE IS UNLOCKED BY DEFAULT!!! Now you can do the hot-swap method to read the hard drive on a computer. I downloaded xboxhdm and followed the instructions, after downloading the default dashboard files from another site. Worked like a dream. Now the xbox is exactly as it was when I took it out of the box. So don't throw out that Error 16 Xbox. It took me less than an hour to be up and playing again, and I couldn't believe it took me almost a whole day to figure it out!!

19. llamma123

llamma123 Member