1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i update firmware and make region free mad dog?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by violator1, May 14, 2007.

1. violator1

violator1 Guest

i was trying to figure out how i can make my mad dod lightscribe drive burn dvds that will play in any dvd player. burned a few that wont play in some players. anyone got any advice on how to set it to be region free? if it helps, i went into the my computer, device manager and checked the region. the region hasnt been set on it. thanks for your help everyone.....

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media