1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I use a 2nd Westell 6100 DSL Modem with Verizon

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Hood_Rich, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Hood_Rich

Hood_Rich Member

I already have a Westell 6100 that came with my Verizon setup. I bought another Westell 6100 off Ebay. Is it possible for 2 to work at the same time, if so how???

Thank You

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you mean have two modems both connected at the same time? no, thats not possible with only one DSL account. if you want to connect multiple computers to your DSL internet, you need a router.

3. shermie27

shermie27 Member

YEA ME AND MY DAD THAUGHT THE SAME THING BUDDIE U JUST NEED TO GET DSL FOR MORE THAT ONE PC OR GET A ROUTER I SHERCHED EBAY FOR LIKE A MOTHER AND THEN FOUND THE MODEM THAT WAS THE SAME AS THE ONE WE HAD AND SOME HOW THOSE GEEKS FOUND OUT HOW TO BLOCK FROM USING MORE THAT ONE MODEM

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

damn man...use a period every now and then, and turn off caps!!

5. Hood_Rich

Hood_Rich Member

ok, thanks. What kind of router would be good??

I see some Belkin Wireless Routers are they good???

Maybe:
    Belkin 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless G 2.4GHz Cable/DSL Gateway Router (part# F5D7230-4 Version3000 )

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

personally I think Linksys makes the best routers available, but Belkin makes decent stuff too, so Im' sure that should work fine for you. Remember you only need the wireless router if you have a wireless connnection on your computer/laptop

7. Nephroth

Nephroth Member

Unfortunately, you cannot use more than one DSL modem on one line at all. This is in no way, however, a means of profit assurance or gouging from your provider, it has to do with the way that signal is encoded.

Line telephones operate on a limited frequency range (which coincides with the requency range of the human voice) Telephone lines, however are capable of carrying much higher frequencies than those of the human voice, and this limitation leaves a lot of unused bandwidth.

Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL) were developed in the late 1980's as a means to utilize this unused bandwidth for a constant data connection that doesn't interfere with the operation of normal voice telephony. The development was not marketed, however, until the late 90's when ISDN and T1 connections began to face competition from cable companies.

When DSL is installed in your neighborhood, a DSLAM (DSL Access Multiplier) is put at the end of a high bandwidth copper or fibre line. The DSLAM acts as an interface for the DSL modems attached at that end of the loop (the modem you have) and assigns channels (cuts of the previously mentioned unused bandwidth) to each. When your modem is "readying" itself, it's communicating with the DSLAM, negotiating its channels and requesting an IP address from the main server (at the exchange).

The DSLAM is not a terribly brilliant device, however, and is only able to differentiate on a physical connection basis. Therefore, if you plug in a second DSL modem, neither modem will be able to properly negotiate themselves with the DSLAM (as their two signals will interfere with eachother) and neither one will be assigned channels or IP addresses.

Hopefully this has cleared up a little confusion for everybody on the way DSL works. And finally, for Shermie27: They aren't geeks, they are electrical engineers and pretty good ones too. If you want to be angry at the phone company, you should be more outraged by their monopolistic tactics and shady business practices.

8. Hood_Rich

Hood_Rich Member

"Remember you only need the wireless router if you have a wireless connnection on your computer/laptop"

What do you mean by that, so If I buy a wireless router, it just won't work right out the box?? I would need to buy some more??

9. Nephroth

Nephroth Member

You only need a wireless router if you have a computer that has a wireless network adapter. If you don't have a computer with a wireless card, then you won't be able to use the wireless features of a wireless router. (You'd have to plug directly into it)

10. Hood_Rich

Hood_Rich Member

ok, do computers come with a wirless card nowadays? And when you said I would just have to plug it in, does that mean I can can just use the wirless router as a regular modem??

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

laptops do, desktop computers don't...for those you'll need a PCI wireless adapter card.

12. apd1309

apd1309 Guest

Man Hood_Rich ,you need some help ...you can buy a wireless usb card if you have a desktop...or...you can plug in to one of the 4 ports on the back of the router .....you will just need a long cord to take it to whatever room you other comp is in ....just go to best buy and tell them what you have and what you want to do ...they will help you...and the brand of the router does not matter....if you plan to go wireless make sure you go with a "G" router

13. jlastname

jlastname Member

Just to let you guts know, the Westel 6100 is a modem & router. It takes the default 192.168.1.1 for the private side of the LAN. If you have a wireless router that you want to use behind it, the easiest thing to do is go into your wireless router setup and turn off DHCP. This will turn off the wireless router's router function and let it function as a wireless access point for the Westell router.