1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I write files to DVD without having verification errors?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dancinD, Feb 2, 2004.

1. dancinD

dancinD Member

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help or whether anyone is suffering the same fate?

[bold]Problem:[/bold]
    Trying to write files from HDD (nothing special, photos and a backup of My Documents).

[bold]Config:[/bold]
    Prim Master = 40Gb HDD
    Prim Slave = 60Gb HDD
    Sec Master = Memorex DVD-Reader
    Sec Slave = Sony 510 DVD-RW
    Athlon 1600XP 512Mb Plently of free space etc.

[bold]Software:[/bold]
    Nero 6

I have tried writing many DVD's in as many different ways as I can think of. DVD(ISO) DVD(UDF) DVD(ISO/UDF) but NONE give me a successful DVD. Now I can open up a garage sale selling coasters!!!

The writing phase works ok, 1X, 2X and 4X (although I dont tend to use the 4X). I have ticked the box in Neros Writing window to perform a verification of the disc when it completes. This is the problem.

I noticed the problem over the past week since I backed up some similar files and tried to read them off the DVD-R(minus). The files are reported to be corrupt, and the occasional file which does manage to be read (for example a photo) appears very blocky and in no way a copy of the original!!!

[bold]MY MAIN QUESTION IS THIS....[/bold]

How do I successfully write a DVD backup of my file on my HDD using Nero 6 with my current PC configuration. It must be possible and Can only wonder if I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

I imagined it was as simple as writing a CD backup.

for the record I have successfully backed up some of my DVD-Video Discs on the same writer

So am convinced the drive and system are working.

Many many thanks to anyone who can help me.

2. malum

malum Regular member

What media are you using?

3. dancinD

dancinD Member

[bold]Media[/i]
    Originally unbranded DVD-R (Minus) from www.novatech.co.uk but more recently BulkPaq Generation 4 DVD-Rs (they're orange).

Same problems with both.

HOWEVER:

Have been browsing around and have found a firmware update for drive, and others have had successes with Nero_Clean and reinstalling Nero. I shall have to try this tonight and if not joy report back.

4. malum

malum Regular member

I wouldn't use either of those media (it may not be your immediate problem but they are crap)

Get some grade A Ritek GO4s from http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ about 70p each