1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do u hook up stereo speakers to computer

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by cremos, Jan 11, 2007.

1. cremos

cremos Member

hey guys i was wondering how i could connect just my stereo speakers to my computer. the problem is my stereo speakers connect to my stereo using little wires. (i hope people know what im talking bout). anyways does anyone know how to do it. any help would be appreciated. thx

2. nixz

nixz Regular member

Yeah I did this, I had a Sony Hi-Fi system, had the speakers connecting to the System with wires. There should be a Phono output on your System/Hi-Fi. Now, you need to go and buy a Phono to 3.5 Jack cable, this will let you connect your Hi-fi/System to your PC. Then you put your Hi-Fi/System into Phono mode, and then play music on your computer and it should play out of your Hi-Fi/System speakers. Hope that helps.

3. Karma50

Karma50 Member

If by "little wires" you mean the kind that are exposed wires that you just pinch into little clip-like connections than nixz has the right idea.

You will have to use an amp/tuner of some kind to power the speakers. You can use any one of you inputs to your stereo, Phono is the most commonly unused. You might also just have an Aux input. You can get a 3.5" to RCA adapter cable to connect to the free input in the back of your stereo to your headphone or line-out port on your computer. You can get one pretty cheap at Fry's or RadioShack. Here is one on Fry's website.

4. cremos

cremos Member

thx guys i shall set out to buy one. thx