1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you back up doom 3, safedisc 3.20.022?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by max_cain, Aug 4, 2004.

1. max_cain

max_cain Guest

Is it possible to back up doom 3? How? Thanks

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Make/model burner?

Software you're using?

I'm dumping the image for Doom 3 with Alcohol 120% as I type this so we'll see.

My first attempt with BlindWrite 5 didn't work in any of my drives so it seems the difference between SafeDisc 3.20 and 3.2.022 is significant. My copies of SafeDisc 3.20 games ran fine in all three of my drives.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/[/small]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  3. max_cain

max_cain Guest

ive got a dvd/cd rom and a dvd-r/cdrw drive, i think they are both nec, thats all i know

im using alcohol 120 v1.9.2 build 1705

edit: ok my first device has come up as: hl-dt-st dvd-rom gdr8162b(1:0)

and the second: nec dvd-rw nd-110a(1:1)

what are your settings on alcohol 120?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Alrighty,

The copy with A120 works fine although it does take a bit longer to verify and launch than the original disc.

I used the SafeDisc 2/3 profile and set the write speed to 4X using my Plextor Premium. The disc was read at max speed with my Lite-On 166S.

There are a precious few DVD burners capable of backing up PC games and your NEC 100A isn't among them so if/when your copies don't work I'd recommend getting a good 2-sheep burner such as the Lite-On 52327S or the Asus 5232AS, both of which are great for writing protections and go for around $30.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/[/small]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  5. max_cain

max_cain Guest

ok i managed to dump it and then burn it on to a cd, when i use the copied cd it brings up the screen that first comes up when you launch doom 3 from the priginal cd, but thats a s far as it gets.

im re-installing the game from the drive that i will be using to make the back-up copy, hopefully this rectify the issue.

ive also tried running alcohol 120 with some boxes ticked in the extra emulation section, didnt work though.

edit: ok i tried installing doom 3 from the original discs via my dvd-r/rw-cd-r/rw and the comp froze up during the install, after it asks for disc 2, i insert it and then thats it, the install halts.

so i guess my recording drive is cheap shit and thats why the back-ups wont work properly.

yeah?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2004
  6. Nephilim

I wouldn't say cheap shit, it just doesn't have the right characteristics to back up protections :)

7. max_cain

max_cain Guest

yeah i guess.

im in australia, ill have to see if those brand of burners that you told me are available here.

if they are they wont be $30, dvd burners cost at least $150 here.

8. Nephilim

The drives I listed are CD burners which are better for backing up games than DVD burners :)

9. max_cain

max_cain Guest

ahhh, *cd* burners, of course, i dont what i was i thinkin when i wrote that.

10. mblue

mblue Guest

So has anyone gotten a copy of doom3 to work? I tried it on my Memorex 52 max (believe it to be 2 sheep) and no luck. Was looking at buying the Asus model that you have
    listed, but really want to know what burners seem to have
    good luck with the newer version of safedisc.

11. Nephilim

12. mblue

mblue Guest

The PX-Premium-bps? Is that the only one?

13. Nephilim

It's not the only one, just the most capable :)

Did you read the link I gave?

14. mblue

mblue Guest

Um nope, but I am now.

15. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

I also used Alcohol 120% the SafeDisc 2/3 profile and set the write speed to max using my Lite-On 52327S. The disc was read at max speed with my Lite-On 16X DVD.

It works but as Nephilim stated it dose take a few seconds longer to boot in to the game, but it works as well as the original cd.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.[/small]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  16. mblue

mblue Guest

Well I read the link and it looks like I will be replacing my memorex with an asus.

17. mblue

mblue Guest

One more question. What about DVD burner and the newer safedisc? The more I think about this I would rather replace my dvd burner and get an 8x rather than replace my cd burner if I can get away with it.

18. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I have backed up doom3 with my Pioneer 107D. I first tried with Blindwtite 5 and it doesn't work then tried AL120 and BAM! it worked kinda weird between those programs.

19. Nephilim

Hi,

The Plextor PX-708A 8X and the PX-712A 12X are about the best DVD burners for backing up PC games in addition to being outstanding for DVDs as well.

I backed up Painkiller (SD 3.2) with my 708A no problems. I've yet to try Doom 3 (SD 3.2.022) in it yet but will in due time :)

20. Nephilim

Hi geestar,

A120 is generally better at SafeDisc protections whereas BlindWrite is the king of SecuRom.

Does your copy of Doom 3 require any sort of emulation?

I did Doom 3 with A120 but BW5 didn't work so I'm waiting to try BW 4.57 which has been reported to work :)