1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you back up doom 3, safedisc 3.20.022?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by max_cain, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

2. Nephilim

Hi,

Not the best. My Plex Premium is a definite 2 sheeper yet my attempts at Doom 3 using BW5 didn't pan out. This was the fault of the software not my drive's abilities. I'll be testing BW 4.57 very shortly :)

3. mblue

mblue Guest

Good point.

4. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

Thanks Nephilim,

I most likely will buy the Plextor Premium. Does newegg ship to Australia? Anyway, you said u had trouble backing-up Doom 3 with the PX premium. This is the game I have been trying to back-up. 2 Questions:

1. Will I be able to back up Doom 3 with Plextor Premium using alcohol 120 1.9 latest version

2. Can I both READ my Doom 3 origional copy and WRITE to CDR with the Plextor Premium. If not will the other ones you mentioned do it?

MaxForce

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Neph,
    If BlindWrite 4.57 should fail you backing up Doom 3(Safedisc 3.20.022), then try CloneCD and don't enable fast error skip and read at 4x. Use FireBurner and burn RAO DAO 96 at 4x. Another alternative is DiscDump& FireBurner. Note when installing FireBurner that you don't disable "autoplay" during the install process. PM me if you need any additional info m8 :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI KT6V-LSR MS-7021
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3400+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR500)
    MSI MS Starforce nVidia GeForce FX5500(256 DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM
    Lite-ON LDW411S DVD-Burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
  6. Nephilim

Hi,

You should be able to. The only working copy of Doom 3 I've made so far has been with A120 and my Plex Premium.

Yep. You can read/write with the Plextor. I used my Lite-On 166S to do the reading when I used A120 but it looks like I need to use the Premium to do the read as well as the write when using BlindWrite 4.57.

I just checked newegg and unfortunately they don't ship internationally.

7. Nephilim

Thanks for the tips Shoey. I'll get Fireburner installed this afternoon and BW 4.57 is installed and ready to be tested this weekend :)

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

You can also run DOOM3 using AL120's virtual drive. Just load DOOM3 to AL120 image drive and play without the disc's incase you can't get a working backup of DOOM3. Just another way to play so you don't ruin the original.

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Our main goal here is to get a working backup of Safedisc 3.20.022(Doom 3) cd protection m8. Once we've accomplished this mission, we have no problems using virtual stealth drives to play our cd protected games ( Daemon Tools) :)

Neph,
    I failed to mention to use your Plex Premium as reader as 1st option, then Litey as 2nd option. I read at many forums people who own Plex premium drives have had success backing up Doom 3(Safedisc 3.20.022) cd protection, just a matter of finding the right software. Many used Paddus DiscJuggler :)

10. Nephilim

DiscJuggler? Never used it. I'll have a look at that as well. One can never have too many tools in the arsenal :)

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If you have the CD burning software Alcohol 120% installed you need to turn off all of the emulation options.
    1) Go to File > Options.
    2) Click on Emulation in the menu to the left.
    3) Uncheck all options in the window to the right.

If you have CloneCD you need to turn off the Hide CDR media setting. This setting is accessable from the task tray icon for clone CD. Right-click on the icon and uncheck Hide CDR media. If it is not accessable or greyed out you need to do the following:

1. If the CloneCD Tray icon is running, right-click on it in the system tray and select Exit to close it down.
    2. Go into Windows Control Panel, then open Regional and Language Options.
    3. Change your Language setting from "English (United States)" to some other English country like "English (United Kingdom)" or "English (Canada)". Click, OK to save the language setting change. Note: you must change the Language, NOT the "Location" setting. The "Location" setting has no effect on this issue.
    4. Now start the CloneCD Tray icon back up from the CloneCD start menu program group.
    5. Right-click on the CloneCD icon in the system tray and you'll notice the "Hide CDR Media" option is no longer grayed out and has a checkmark next to it.
    6. Select the "Hide CDR Media" option to remove the checkmark and disable the option.
    7. Close the CloneCD Tray icon again (right-click and select Exit).
    8. Go back into Regional and Language Options in Control Panel and set the language option back to "English (United States)", then click OK to save the language settings.

Hold down the left shift key when inserting the game disc.

Make sure you have 32 bit drivers for your CD-ROM drive.

Set the CD-ROM cache size to zero.

Change the DMA setting on the CD-ROM drive.

Make sure the drive letters for the CD-ROM is set correctly.

Make sure that the location for CD music to play is set correctly.

Make sure your system can successfully play Audio CD's.

Turn off Auto Insert Notification.

If you have disabled the options within your cd emulation software, and it is still causing a conflict. You may want to contact the software manufacturer. They may know which settings need to be disabled. If you do not wish to contact the manufacturer and you can't figure out which settings to turn off you should uninstall the software and attempt to reinstall without the cd emulation portion of the program.
    =====================================================
    It appears that this latest Safedisc 3.20.022(backups) on Doom 3 detects any "emulation" software installed on your pc (Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, Daemon Tools). Your best option to try and make a working backup is:
    1) DiscDump& FireBurner
    2) Paddus DiscJuggler
    3) Blindwrite Suite 4.57
    4) Blindwrite 5
    ===============================================
    You can use Alcohol 120%, CloneCD and create bin& cue, uninstall>reboot and burn RAO DAO 96 with FireBurner as another alternative.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR500)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
  12. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

Nephilim,

Thank you for your info.

Unfortunately I can't get the Plex Premium where I live unless I order it. However the Lite-On 53327s is available. Should I wait and order the Plex Premium? Is it better? Will the Lite-On 52327s read and write Doom 3?

MaxForce

13. Nephilim

Hi,

Personally I'd wait, you'll be glad you did :)

14. HeySoos

HeySoos Member

I just used CloneCD, selected the Protected GameCD setting. Everything worked just fine, it took a good while to read the entire first disc, it's the only one with SafeDisc on it anyway.

Read Drive= Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616E
    Write Drive = CDWRITER IDE3112
    Latest CloneCD

15. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

I went out and bought the Lite-On 52327s burner as it is one of the burners confirmed here to make a working back up of Doom 3. The Plextor is not available in my state of South Australia. I don't wanna pay $138 USD for it on ebay either.
    I can not make a working backup of Doom 3 using the 52327s.
    This is a time saving preperation preventing uninstalling and re-installing. First install Doom 3 with the originals. Then test if it runs. It does. Next read and write an image of disc 1 to cd-r.

I used Alcohol 120. Read at 4x. Check skip reading errors and fast skip error blocks. SafeDisk 2/3. Also I have all three boxes checked in the emulation options.

My Lite-On is set to Master disk not slave.

I have read that people have done backups of Doom 3 with the 52327s. However I can confirm that I can not:(

16. mblue

mblue Guest

I have been meaning to reply to thread as well. I got my new Asus 5232AS Saturday and it didn't make a backup of D3 either. Now, that was out of the box with the newiest A120% and read at 8 times. I have since applied the newest firmware and will try to read it at 4 times and see if that work. Have class tonight so I probably won't try till Wednesday.

17. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

If I can make a working backup on HD using emulation (purely for test purposes) then is it true that the read speed does not need to be lowered "to better read the weak sectors"? This convinces me that I can read it so my read settings are all okay. The problem must relate to the burners ability to write.

The Lite-On 52327s is a 2 sheep burner. However using the test from http://www.petemoore.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sheep_test/sheep.zip
    It will not burn the bad.bat file. I.e it is a 2 sheep burner but not an excellent 2 sheep burner

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Don't enable skip read errors and fast skip errors m8. Read the image of Doom 3 (CD 1) at 4x and burn RAO DAO at 4x. If Alcohol 120% fails to make a working backup, then try using BlindWrite Suite 4.57. What brand name dvd or cd rom are you using to spin up Doom 3? This "might" be the problem...
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR 400)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2004
  19. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Don't enable fast error skip, read the image of Doom 3 (CD 1) at 4x and burn RAO DAO at 4x. Play the backup in your dvd or cd-rom and what brand name is it?
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR 400)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2004
  20. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

Shoey,
    I am using the Lite-On to both read/write. Thanks for the tips I'll try that out tomorrow but I have to go to sleep now.

Also I have been trying for about a week to back up my Grand Theft Auto Vice City using the default SecuROM settings read write at MAX and DPM at 1X in Alcohol 120%.
    I even mounted the image from Install disk and installed it but game wont start.

MaxForce