1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you back up doom 3, safedisc 3.20.022?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by max_cain, Aug 4, 2004.

1. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

Thought I might try it otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep. Following your advice
    I proceeded to write image. Alcohol immediately halts "unrecovered read error" Image file writing aborted. Am I running into this trouble because The game is already installed? I am using my 52327s lite-On to read/write

MaxForce

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Read and write at 4X, not Max :)

BlindWrite works better for SecuRom games so you might give that a try.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants...And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim[/small]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Is the disc clean and scratch free?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The Lite-ON dvd drives can backup up to Safedisc 3.10(Call Of Duty) and SecuROM 4.85(Max Payne 2). Lite-ON dvd drives are by far less expensive than Plextor dvd drives. You can buy a Lite-ON 12x dvd drives at Newegg.com for 75.00 USA dollars and a Plextor Premium (52\32\52x) for 82.00 USA Dollars. If it were me, I would go this route.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

What brand name dvd or cd-rom do you own? Use Blindwrite 5 for SecuROM 4.8x backups m8 as backing up GTA: Vice City isn't that difficult.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Try Blindwrite Suite 4.57 or CloneCD and FireBurner?
    What brand name dvd or cd-rom do you own?

7. mblue

mblue Guest

It is an Asus burner and actually the only I set was the safedisc 2/3 selection. I will try these sugestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2004
  8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You misunderstood me m8. One needs to play a backup of DOOM 3 in a dvd or cd-rom. Again, what brand name dvd or cd-rom do you own?

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Afterdawn forums doesn't endorse the posting of links to other forums. However, in the case of backing up Safedisc 3.20.022, this alone has become a nightmare for people around the globe. In no way am I endorsing CD Freaks forums, but rather "sharing" the knowledge on how to backup this very tough cd protection. Browse through the thread and see how many other people accross the globe are making backups with little success and a few cd burners.
    Club CD Freaks, how to backup Safedisc 3.20.022 http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96383&highlight=doom

10. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

Actually I meant to say [bold] As I begin to READ the disc (DOOM 3) Alcohol halts, after a few seconds a dialog box pops up: Process was not completed! Do you want to delete the files? [/bold] - Unrecovered read error. This is slightly different to what I said before (write) -sorry. Following your advice Shoey, I deslected the skip and fast skip boxes. This action changes the datatype in alcohol to [bold] customise [/bold] it is no longer set to safedisc 2/3 when I change these settings. Alcohol automatically changes it to customise. Perhaps bec I have installed the game and I should uninstall it first?
    P.s I'll try GTA vice city later at 4x. It's just that the examples in the Alcohol help file shows maximum. I should have ignored it and gone with 4x.

I don't have a cdrom or dvdrom installed. Just the Lite-on 52327s and a Pioneer 107d dvd burner

Oh yeah Shoey I already had that thread bookmarked and read it before. Where can I get Alcoholer? What is it?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Why you get the error reading Doom 3 with Alcohol 120% is beyond me m8. In order to determine a "true backup" of most recent Safedisc pc game titles, you must play the backup in a dvd or cd-rom. Always install the "original" pc game, then test your backups.
    Have you tried Blindwrite Suite 4.57? I personally recommend the Lite-ON dvd-roms.
    1) Lite-ON LTD 163\165\166\167
    You can get the Lite-ON SOHD 167T (16x) at Newegg.com for 30.00 USA dollars.
    Alcoholer
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/7/3-7-53.shtml
    Blindwrite Profiler 3.1
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/3/7/3-7-70.shtml
    Blindwrite Suite 4.5.7
    http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI KT6V-LSR MS-7021
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR 400)
    MSI MS Starforce nVidia GeForce FX5500(256 DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM
    Lite-ON LDW411S DVD-Burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2004
  12. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

Hey Shoey thank you for your help. And thank you for the links.

In regards to Vice city:
    I slowed down the read and write speeds to 4x and used the settings http://support.alcohol-soft.com/en/knowledgebase.php?postid=1531&title=R.M.P.S The game installed and ran but only if I had the install cd in the drive while starting up vice city.

If I had the burned play cd in, it would not start. If I had the original play cd in the drive it would start. So I used the same settings for secuROM for to copy the play cd again. This time everything works. The game starts with my burned copy of Vice City PLAY cd in the drive.

I previously used ProtectionID v.5 but now switched to A-ray Scanner. A-ray picked up secuROM on Vice city Play cd.

P.S I didn't think that the play cd had any protection. I scanned with Protection ID v5.

P.P.S NewEgg does not ship to Australia unfortunately. I would really like to buy the Plextor Premium.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

How to backup SecuROM 4.8.3 withAlcohol 120%
    Follow this guide on how to backup GTA: Vice City
    ======================================================
    1. Start by making an image of the play cd of the game you want to copy. The datatype setting to use is securom new (not securom new 4.x) for this purpose and the image must be saved in CloneCD format and not in alcohol’s native format. Reading speed doesn’t matter. Max speed will be fine. [Note: If the game has more than one cd, the only one that will be protected will be the one that has to be in the drive to play the game. The other cd/s can be copied by just using your favorite general burning software (Nero, burnatonce) without any special settings.

2. Then either download a bwa file for the cd you want to copy or use blindwrite's bwa builder to make your own. If you're able to download a bwa file, then you can proceed straight to patching with Alcoholer 4x\TwinCreator. If not, well you'll just have to make one.

3. Next make a bwa file (skip this step if you've downloaded one). To make a bwa file, you need to use blindwrite's bwa builder. There is no need for blindwrite itself to be on your system. You can install blindwrite, copy the bwa builder exe file to another folder (Desktop preferably)or on your hard drive and then uninstall blindwrite if you don't want it on your system. The patin-couffin layer necessary for the bwa builder to function won't be removed when blindwrite is uninstalled.] There are two ways to use the bwa builder to make a good bwa file

a) Once you've put the play cd into your chosen reader, start the bwa builder. Select the reader, if you've got more than one, and speed. Various speeds (1x to 40x) usually work best but not always so experiment and see what works best for you and then click start. You'll then be asked if you want the program to set the last sector automatically. Either say yes if you want the bwa builder to analyze the whole cd or say No and set it yourself. If you say no, then you'll need to have previously set the max sector yourself - blackcheck has indicated that 50,000 is usually enough. The analysis will then start.

When it's finished, ,the graph will show a fairly smooth curve with only one or two spikes and preferably none. Don't worry if you can't get the perfect spikeless curves as not everyone is going to be able to achieve his flawless results. If there are only one or two spikes the copy will still work ok, particularly if the spikes aren't in the first 50,000 sectors (the copy will probably be a little slower to verify than one made with a spikeless bwa file but it will still work). [Tip: Don't terminate the analysis just because a number of spikes appear on the graph while the analysis is proceeding. Wait until it's finished because most all of them will be eliminated by the bwa builder as it completes the process. If there's a lot of spikes in the graph, don't bother with it. It won't work. Try again and if you again get a bad graph try at a different speed or with a different reader. Once you get one that looks ok, click on file and then save BWA to save the file.

b) If you can't get a good .bwa file just using the bwa builder, then you'll have to try to make one by converting an .mds file created by alcohol. To make an mds file with alcohol simply make an image of the play cd using securom new 4.x settings in mds/mdf format. When you're asked to select the measuring speed for the DPM function, again you'll probably get better results at low speed(1-4x). When it's finished making the image files, run the bwa builder and load the mds file by clicking on file and then load BWA/MDS. If the graph looks ok then create a .bwa file by clicking on File and then Convert MDS -> BWA. This will create a .bwa file in the same folder as your .mds file. You can then delete the mds/mdf files as they're no longer needed.

4. Now it's time to patch the image files.Open Alcoholer 4.x and locate the Alcohol 120% tab folder and run TwinCreator and leave the default of 15 as it works fine for me. However, 6 and 50 are also known to work. Select the .ccd file and the .bwa file and then click start TwinCreator.Click select support image and locate the .ccd file now click select media-description and locate the bwa file and then click start. When it's finished, you'll have three new files in the same folder where you saved the original image files. Those files will be patched.ccd, patched.img and patched.sub.

5. You've patched the image files and you're now ready to burn your back-up copy. Just start alcohol’s image burning wizard and burn patched.ccd using the securom new (not securom new 4.x) datatype setting. Because this type of copy is anything but standard,, you'll probably get better results if you burn at relatively low speed (say 8x). Before burning you'll be warned that the image size doesn't match the lead-out specified in the toc and you'll be given three burning options. The first option is correct: "Keep TOC as on source cd, write until end of image file".
    ======================================================
    It is much easier to make a backup of SecuROM 4.8.x using Blindwrite 4.57 or Blindwrite 5 :)

Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2004
  14. mblue

mblue Guest

Ah ha, you would be correct sir. I don't have regular cd or dvd rom in my system. All I have is the liteon LDW411S and The Asus 5232AS.

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Then you need to purchase a dvd or cd-rom to determine if your Safedisc backups work. I personally endorse the Lite-ON dvd-roms m8.

16. mblue

mblue Guest

I guess I have missed something. Ever time I backed up a game it played just fine in my burners until this doom 3 back up problem. What has changed (other than the safedisc ver)or was I just lucky before?

17. MaxForce

MaxForce Member

The BWA concept is brand new to me. But I think I understand it. Funny that I did not do any bwa patching yet my back up GTA vice city still works.

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

So you're using "emulation" to play your backups? If you own a dvd or cd-rom, then play your Safedisc backups on your dvd or cd-rom because of ATIP. Doom 3 automatically detects any "emulation" software, a new scheme in the Safedisc 3.20.022 cd protection.

19. mblue

mblue Guest

So Doom 3 actually sees that you have a program like A120% or blindwrite?

Man I swear my University should offer a course on how to backup games.

20. Shoey

Shoey Guest

A backup of Doom 3 played in burner detects "emulation" software like CloneCD, Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools. Blindwrite Suite doesn't have the "virtual stealth drive" m8. This is why many people are struggling to make a working backup because the backup won't spin up in a dvd or cd-rom, nor run by "emulation" or a virtual stealth drive.
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2004