1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Convert iTunes videos to XviD?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by singjai, Jun 1, 2007.

1. singjai

singjai Member

I bought a couple of TV episodes on iTunes. I'd like to be able to watch 'em on my TV--they're TV shows, after all. And who wants to spend $250 on AppleTV? The logical thing would be to convert these files to XviD or DVD. The question is, how? I'm not even completely sure what an iTunes video is--a MOV file? Anyway, I haven't been able to find a guide on the subject that works.

I know it'll be tempting to reply, "That's why I don't buy iTunes videos." Don't. For one thing, it isn't constructive. I only spent a few bucks, and even on my computer monitor these damn things look better than my old VHS tapes, which is all I have, since the show's never been on DVD.

If someone can dish with the info, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd appreciate it.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

iTunes uses mp4 files (just with the wrong file extension), which is fine. The problem is that they also use DRM. You would need to remove the DRM before you can do anything.

3. ebega

ebega Regular member

I don't know much about the iPod Video, but can't you buy an AV cable for the new iPods? Then you could just connect your iPod directly to your TV and not have to worry about getting rid of the DRM.

edit:
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MA242LL-iPod-Connection-Kit/dp/B000E5XHGK

You can probably find others, and maybe for cheaper, I believe this is Apple's official cable.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  4. singjai

singjai Member

celtic_d - Thanks. MP4 video with DRM--that explains why I've been unsuccessful so far.

ebega - Thanks, but this isn't iPod video. I don't own an iPod anyway. Along those lines of hooking up hardware, my laptop hooked up to HDTV is doable and looks halfway decent, but my DivX certified DVD player upconverts and produces much better picture quality. 16x9 XviDs look fairly spectacular displayed full screen. (Not to mention you could buy three of those DVD players for the cost of one AppleTV unit, not that you'd want three of 'em.)

If someone could point the way to how I can convert files I bought and paid for legally, so I can view them on my TV, which I also own legally, I'd appreciate it greatly.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Is DRM not explained when purchasing content? If so then I would ask for a refund. If it is explained, then yes you got ripped off (all DRM is a rip off), however you still got what you paid for.

Not really a matter of converting. Plenty of different ways to convert mp4's. You just need to strip the DRM first and I am not sure if there are any tools for handling mp4's with video. Plenty of tools for iTunes audio files. That said I think there is at least one app that can convert. Guess it uses iTunes own engine. If you are going to re-encode anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter... Still personally I would rather have the original file sans DRM.

6. maynard1

maynard1 Member

The best and by far the easiest way to convert is "cucsoft ipod converter" I can't tell you where I got it but it will convert anything with ease.. Hope this helped!!

7. singjai

singjai Member

celtic_d - it's just a couple bucks. I'm frustrated not to be able to watch a TV show on TV, because of DRM. If I could watch one episode the way I want to, I'd buy the whole darn season from them. (Need I say for my own use only?) But no way am I buying AppleTV.

maynard1 - wish me luck! Thanks.

8. singjai

singjai Member

I checked out that tool. Sorry, this doesn't work for me at all: 1) these are not iPod videos and 2) I want to view them on my TV, not an iPod. But I think I said that before.

Looks like the only way I'll be able to do anything with these files is to strip the DRM first. Apple TV is not an option, and laptop to HDTV not nearly as good an option as upconverting DivX certifified DVD player to HDTV.

9. mrxxg

mrxxg Guest

yes, you need to do it with 2 steps.

(1) remove DRM from iTunes (M4v, M4p, MP4) legally by converting iTunes to unprotected WMV formats firstly,
    (2) Burn resulting file to DVD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  10. meggiecc

meggiecc Guest