1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you copy real player files to disc?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by kiii, Aug 15, 2007.

1. kiii

kiii Member

Sorry if my language is wrong but I'm a comp novice. My hard drive is full so I'm trying to move to disc the stuff I want to keep. I download a lot of video with bitcomet, most show up as wmp and I can copy these fine, but a few are realplayer and nero doesn't recognise them. I use nero to burn all my dvds. How do you copy realplayer video files to DVD? The extensions are divx and rmvb if that matters.

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

You want to select "Make a Data Disk" in Smart Start.

When you click on the "Add" Button, make sure the Files types is set to "All Files(*.*)". This sould allow sellection of all file types.

3. kiii

kiii Member

Thanks for your help, as I got the impression data discs weren't for video, probably from that document sign next to it.... I made a data dvd and managed to store about 4 times the amount of material in about a tenth of the time; how does that work?
    The quality of the picture doesn't seem to have been affected.

Given that, would data discs be the best way of backing up my 200GB of video and music? I was thinking of buying an external hard drive as burning to DVD was so time consuming but this way is a lot quicker. Would I be able to restore them to my computer and make them into a disc that would play in my stand alone machine later? And would the quality of music be unaffected?

The problem with the data DVD though is, unlike a DVD-video disc it won't play in my stand alone DVD recorder. Is there no way to do that with real player files?

4. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

A Data Disk keeps your files in their native format, keeping them at their original file size. Your picture quality stays the same as the original file, because it is a copy of the original file, no conversion.

In order to "play" a data disk on a standalone, your standalone must play the file types on the disk. My standalone plays DIVX files, some MPEG files, takes a stab at playing AVI files, and plays MP3 audio files in addition to the standard CD, DVD & VCD formats. If it can't play the native format, the files have to be converted to a format that the standalone recognizes and plays.

Real Player files are another animal altogether. As far as I know, no standalone will play Real Player files. And I know of no program that will directly convert Real Player video files to DVD format. I found this free program for converting Real Audio files into a format that Nero or others can then further convert to DVD format.

5. kiii

kiii Member

So making a data disc is actually better than a dvd-video disc, because there's no conversion (as that always diminishes quality), is that right?

Also would I be able to convert these data discs (or the files on them) to ones playable on my standalone at a later date if I wanted?

6. killalot

killalot Active member

A data disk as the name says is for backing up data so if the avi file is 700mb when you back it up to a disk the file stays the same size 700mb you just keep adding the data to the disk until the disk is full my DVD player plays divx avi so or I do is make a data disk I ad the video file and burn it as a data disk no conversion necessary you only have to convert divx video files when you DVD player doesn’t play divx and all that does is change the file structure so your DVD player understands it doesn’t improve the quality and yes you can convert your files after so your player understands them best thing to do is go a buy a DVD player that plays divx only cost £20 these days saves a lot of hassle

7. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@kiii,

To answer your first question, I don't know! I don't know if the conversion to DVD format is a lossy (loss of info) or lossless (no loss) conversion or if it depends on the source file. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can answer that for you.

2nd question, yes you can convert the original source file to DVD (or CD) format anytime after burning to data disk, as long as the data disk doesn't deteriate. In other words, don't use cheap disks and check your back ups periodically for quality. If they start to degrade, re-back them up to new data disks.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  8. beevee

beevee Member

Just piggy backing onto this thread I have the same problem as kiii ie my hard drive is full.
    Some problems transferring data onto a 4.7gb disc but seem to have got round that one. I decided to try and get some of my video (in nero movietime files) onto a 8.5gb disc. Unfortunately it keeps rejecting the disc saying I need a DVD+R DL which is what I have got. It has done this several times now and its getting a bit frustrating. i am using Traxdata Double Layer discs.
    I see in an earlier reply make sure the Files types is set to "All Files(*.*)". How do you do that please, that may be part of the problem.
    Thanks

9. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@beevee
    It's not called piggy backing, it's called hijacking, which is a no-no.

Please start you own thread so you get personalized attention to your situation.

10. beevee

beevee Member

Thanks for that, same problem as the other guy with probably the same sort of answer, but if it is a no-no then fair enough.No offence intended I just thought we both might a result.

11. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@beevee

Actually, I think your issue might be different than kiii's. You say your system calls for a DL disk and then doesn't recognize one that is inserted.

By starting a new thread you will get more of the experienced hands taking a look at your situation and supply advice.

When I see a thread with 9 or 10 posts to it, I generally think that the initial person is being assisted and shy away.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007