1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you make .avi files work on a xbox 360?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Syphina, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Syphina

Syphina Member

Hello,

we're trying to burn a show that is in .avi format onto a dvd so it can be played in a xbox 360 system (multiple episodes per dvd). I understand they need to be converted to a different file format but which format? and which program is best to do that? what exactly do you need to do?

we've been burning coasters trying to figure this out we've burned them into mpeg format but they dont show up in the xbox360, also we want to know if there are any free converter programs out there that are reliable (one system is already in need of a reformat due to virus ridden versions).

or perhaps how to make avi files viewable in a dvd player? an easy step by step process for both options would be great, we are new at this and are not experts by any means.... (this is our first time burning anything other than music)

any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. zeiram

zeiram Guest

i assume if its like anything else dvd, you will need to convert your avi files to that of mpeg2 (which in essence is the dvd campatible format)

I'll point you in the right direction instead of saying ' read, read read and then read some more'

Heres a link to some free software that will convert your avi files to thast of mpeg2.Once converted it is really easy to burn your converted file on to a dvd using nero etc.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm

See how you go and if you get stuck just post back, we dont bite here, well not much anyway

zei

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  3. Syphina

Syphina Member

thanks for the reply, we've figured it out though. In order to play a movie off of a data dvd or cd in an xbox 360 the files need to be converted to a .wmv file. Otherwise, we would use Nero Vision 4 to convert them into a format playable in a dvd player.