1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you protect / Make DVDs Non-copy-able?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Myth0logy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Myth0logy

Myth0logy Member

Hi,

I am trying to make a DVD I have made non-copyable. The DVDs I make currently can be copied easily - all you need is a DVD burner and the content can be taken off the DVDs.

If you buy a commercial DVD, I believe it can't be copied without special software.

I want a DVD I have made to be the same - not so easy to copy. Is there any software or method I can perform to stop DVDs I have made from being copied?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

All DVD"s can easilly Be Copied, any proper DVD ripping Software will remove any copy protection and there are a Lot of them and most are free so everyone and there dog has one so even if you were able to Copy Protect your DVD"s anyone with Half a Brain could Copy it without even Noticeing that it is copy protected.....

Some Very high end DVD authoring Programs can add CCS encryption and analoge Macrovision copy Protection Like "Sonic Scenarist 3.0" ($25,000) or "Sonic ReelDVD 3.11" ($250) and with "Sonic DVDit Pro" you can add region codeing.....

Cheers

3. DVDmixer

DVDmixer Member

I'm not trying to squash your hopes, but huge comapanies have spend 100's of 1000's of dollars to make there DVD's copy proof, all to have some shareware or freeware program find away around them in weeks. Chances are that you will not find anything effective that is economical. Good luck, though.

4. Myth0logy

Myth0logy Member

Ty for answer, I have been searching since I posted and it seems the only way is to employ some 3rd party who do nothing but protect them by adding a chip or something to the DVD.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

this might be a silly question.what kind of movies are you making that are so special, that you don't want any one to copy them?. you could make them to where you have to put a password in them to make them play

6. Myth0logy

Myth0logy Member

It's rare footage of Tupac Shakur. It's perfectly legitimate to sell and the are literally millions of Tupac fans, and I have sold hundred of copies already.

The difficulty has come from getting hold of the footage and copying it to DVD, ideally I don't want people stealing it!

7. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

did you use a cam and record the footage of tupac or did you get it from someone else? if you got it from someone else and you are selling it you could be in trouble for theft of property of who had the copyright of the footage so i would be carefull

8. Myth0logy

Myth0logy Member

It doesn't violate copyright.

My Dad owned a small media company that owns the rights to the footage, which is basically an interview. It was shortly before Tupac's death which is why it is quite valuable to the millions of fans.

As the company has now been disolved my Dad owns the rights exclusively.