1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you rip BR losslessly

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by tr1xjolly, Mar 17, 2010.

1. tr1xjolly

tr1xjolly Member

Hi, I'm new to AferDawn although I come to the site very often. I've searched the forums and the site and can't seem to get a direct answer to my question. I'm looking to rip Blu Rays to my computer and then encode with NO quality loss. I know H.264 is the best encoding out there, is it true 100% lossless though?

I don't care about file size, the time it takes to rip, or anything. I need 100% exact copies of the movies (just as FLAC is the exact same quality as a CD). What programs/methods should I use to accomplish this? Thanks much.

2. neronut

neronut Regular member

Hey,

There is no need to encode them, just rip them. A program such as AnyDVD HD or DVDFab will be able to help you backup your discs for safe keeping. All they do is dump the video to the location you specify. There will be 1:1 copies of the original minus the ugly protection.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  3. tr1xjolly

tr1xjolly Member

Thanks that does help. To be clear, I can just rip the movie and then play the files with VLC player and it'll be a 1:1 copy right? Would encoding help to lower the file size? Or is there something else I could do to lower the file size (nothing that involves lowering quality though)?

4. neronut

neronut Regular member

When they are copied from the disc they will be 1:1 copies. THey will have a bitrate of around 30 Mbits/sec, which may consume all your CPU time unless you have a nice CPU. If you want them smaller than some quality will be to be lost. Unlike audio that Lossless compressors exist for, Lossless video isn't really worth it. For true lossless then the video should be uncompressed (YUV or YV12) but the file sizes are huge.

If you recompress the video with x264 to a lower bit rate you can make the data smaller but some quality will be lost. Although it will be highly unnoticeable if done at the right bitrate and image resolution. Many 1080p videos exist that look super close to their original, high bit rate parents.

5. dvdlaser

dvdlaser Member

Dear Neronut,
    Can you recommend the simplest software to burn and edit blu-ray? I own anydvdhd for the copy protection part, but what I'm trying to do is copy blu-rays with the original DTS-HD intact but also need something very simple to allow me to push a button or two to remove extras I don't need, like subtitles, featurettes, etc., in order to copy the entire film with original audio without compression onto a 25gb disc. So many out there are 33gb o more with extras. Thanks for any help.

6. neronut

neronut Regular member

Hi dvdlaser,

One program that I know does a good job at this is DVDFab. It gives tons of options and allows for extras to be removed, etc. However, the only version of it that is freeware is the Decrypter portion. A free program that can help in redoing blu-rays is called BD Rebuilder. It can also rebuild the structure of a BD.

7. wordolf

wordolf Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  8. Herundia

Herundia Guest

There is no need to encode them, just rip them. A program such as AnyDVD HD or DVDFab will be able to help you backup your discs for safe keeping. All they do is dump the video to the location you specify. There will be 1:1 copies of the original minus the ugly protection.

9. hatetea58

hatetea58 Guest

first, u need to creat a bdmv file. and i always use Tsmux to remux video file to bdmv. Then, u can try nero or imgburn to burn it to blu ray disc

10. scrapesky

scrapesky Member

im a  user, so i use "PavTube". its an amazing Blu Ray ripper. it can pull it off in any format you want,even a direct BDMV rip with all your folders including trailers down to the .m2ts files in the stream folder.it can even pull the Dolby True HD audio off of the BD. you can do anything you want with the movie with this program, best investment spent on media softwre in a while.

on a PC i use AnyDVD HD, with it you an rip the BDMV to a complete folder as well, or an image(.iso) where you can open and find the .m2ts file you need to burn or stream. if you are wanting to burn the BD, i suggest "MakeMKV", you can pull of the main title itself in MKV format which is still a very nice format. im still not sure if MKV is compressed much at all because i have been ripping all kinds of BLu Rays and they are not very small files at all. i ripped all 12 episodes of my True Blood BD into MKV using "MakeMKV", and the output folder containing all the 12 episodes was 119GB. so it cannot be compressed that much, and that is with me removing all subtitles, and other audio such as french, spanish, and only leaving the Dolby True HD audio. looks beautiful watching off of my portable external through my WD TV Media Player which upscales media to 1080p through my HDMI cable.

11. neronut

neronut Regular member

tr1xjolly,

The best way I would think to rip and store your movies losslessly is to copy off the m2ts files in the stream folder. AnyDVD or DVDFab can rip these files and as long as you just grab them, name them and store them after the rip is done then you don't loose any quality. They are some what portable because a few devices support them now.

Good Luck in your backups :)

12. hatetea58

hatetea58 Guest

U mean PavTube performs greatly on Mac?

13. Adalfredo

Adalfredo Guest

14. scrapesky

scrapesky Member

What about for Apple?

15. alinaly

alinaly Member

Nowerdays there're many professional Blu-ray Ripper program you can use. Just google to find the suitale one.
    Blu-ray ripper I recommend is free downlaod and try.

16. scrapesky

scrapesky Member

if your talking about PavTube, i already have it. it works wonders. i am just stumbled on how to rip the .m2ts files from the BD, then from there burn to a Blu Ray disc. i have just been ripping them into MKV format to watch on my WD media HD player. i would love to make a playable BD that will play in a ps3 or a blu ray player. i use MC so it doesn't support the VC-1 codec. any suggestions on how to make a playable BD?

17. neronut

neronut Regular member

What is "MC"? One way to make a disk out of the m2ts files is with tsMuxR, now I'm not sure if it will handle multiple files, and it won't do menus but there is a mac version. http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html is where you can get it. I'm not sure how to do this on a Mac because most video tools seem to be for Windows (even Linux has crappy support for things like VC-1).

If you want I can look around and see what I can find.

18. hatetea58

hatetea58 Guest

I have noticed that Pavtube has released a new version. The added "full disc copy" function can allow us to copy the whole content from BD and the copied file can be directly burned to a blu-ray disc. Then, i think u can use imgburn to burn the file to a blu-ray disc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010