1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you think High-Def DVD's will be ripped?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by PeaInAPod, Aug 28, 2006.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

After reading a magazine article I started wondering about how companies are going to defeat the AACS and HDCP (high-def dvd support) protection schemes implemented on the new high definition video format. i think they will do it by emulating a hdcp/aacs connection/device and therefore be able to "unprotect" the hd-dvd/blu-rays contents and successfully rip the content off the disc. What do you guys think?

2. skater685

skater685 Regular member

well hd video(hd-dvd and bluray) use HDMI cables and apprently,this was designed just with safety in mind,and they think it's impossible to crack,but rest assured someone will figure out a way...

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yeah im sure they will. From what i was reading though i had the impression that this wont just be protection that occurs in the tray of the high def dvd drive it will go right down to hardware. Thats why i began to think of ways it could be cracked.

4. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

the guy that decoded CSS- Joenhatesberg something. said he is workign on DeAASC, but i dont think he will get anywhere lol

5. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

hdmi is easy to get around really easy read about like 2 months ago. the other stuff I dont know but it will be cracked though

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Im sure someone will crack it, i doubt that jon johannsen or whoever he is will do it. AACS from what it seems is very advanced (compared to current DRM schemes). Im betting slysoft cracks it within a couple (2-3) months of HD-DVD's/Blu-Ray's public adoption. Maybe sooner, you can buy Blu-ray now so whos to say that slysoft hasn;t bought a Blu-Ray disc and is busy cracking it now!

7. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

It will be cracked but the problem is how easy will it be for a person that not really a PC geek.One click programs might not be so easy this go around.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  8. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

The problem is that the algorithm will be hard to figure out to make something like DeCSS.

I think this time it may be the actual players that are hacked rather than the AACS. Maybe you could use the player as a ripper in some way and download the movie to a PC. Then use software to create your own HD disc or re-encode it into DVD.

So, I guess if HDCP is cracked maybe streaming is possible, but at 1gbps, expect a full movie to take up 900GB or more (that is for streaming in uncompressed AVI). If you have a hardware encoder, you can then stream it directly to this and automatically encode to mpeg-2 or mpeg-4.

9. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Im not concerned about the protection,
    more concerned about how long its gonna take to burn a backup.

10. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

The read and write speeds of these things are a lot faster than DVD. 1x for Blue Ray is 36mbps. The limit of the burn speed is based on the RPM of the drive, so around 400mbps can be achieved. This means that to burn 1 25GB BD will take roughly:

90 minutes at 1x
    45 minutes at 2x
    23 minutes at 4x
    12 minutes at 8x.

Considering the amount of space, this is very good time.

HD DVD Read/write speeds are pretty much the same (approx 36.6mbps for 1x) so burn time for 15GB will be:

55 minutes at 1x
    27 minutes at 2x
    14 minutes at 4x
    7 minutes at 8x

HD DVD seem to be approz the same as burning a DVD at the same speed.

Double all times for both formats for dual layer. If Triple layer is released for HD DVD, triple the time.

11. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Nice Jag that answers all my questions I almost believed that it would take 3 weeks to burn one blu-ray. Lmao