1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how does HDCP really affect you?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by PALToNTSC, Apr 20, 2010.

1. PALToNTSC

PALToNTSC Regular member

Hi guys,

I was doing some reasearch lately about component and HDMI, then I heard about the term HDCP. Since then I was focusing to really understand HDCP and I did alot of research on google and youtube and watch alot of movies, but really for the first time I can't get it 100%.

Yes, I know what the term means and I know that to use DVI or HDMI connections or cables, your equipments has to be HDCP, but what I don't understand is how really this can protect digital content from piracy. Most of the stuff I found online, they focus on the term and what it does, but they don't really give you examples. I have some examples here, if you can give me answer for each situation my understanding for the HDCP will be much easier

1) you have PC with HDCP video card and a HDTV with HDCP HDMI input. If you run pirated content on your PC for example 720p mkv movies on a program like kmplayer, you'll be able to get the image on your TV? or you'll lose resolution and may not work because of the HDCP?

2) same example but using an original blu-ray from your PC blu-ray player..thru HDCP graphic to the HDTV HDCP input, you'll be able to see the image at full quality because the blu-ray disc has already HDCP in it?

3)if you do the opposite way, connecting the output of your HDMI TV to your PC input which is also hdcp, in this case you'll be able to see the digital content on your PC? you'll be able to use a software to capture it?

if you can answer my questions it will be much easier to understand what really HDCP does as protection.

THX

2. shadrach

shadrach Member

I do not have much knowledge about it but I have read little about it before sometime. As I understand HDCP it will not affect the playback of your movies. I believe it is primarily a technique to prevent the copying of content from the playback device to the display. There are filtering devices that can remove the HDCP information out of a video signal so content can be played on a non-HDCP display. HDCP may affect divx movies that are downloaded on demand if they are hi-definition.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  3. PALToNTSC

PALToNTSC Regular member

thx shadrach for your reply. I'm still waiting though for other members to see their opinions about it, more opinions=more knowledge