1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Does...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by marek, Nov 1, 2003.

1. marek

marek Member

I was wondering what everyone uses to burn DVD's and the steps they go about doing it. I am very interested in everyones techiniques to get a good quality burn in. Please give good details or whatnot...thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I thought I could just buy a DVD copying program and just start making back-ups...wrong! It wasn't that easy. I purchased Nero 6 and DVD X Copy gold. I have also downloaded Shrink 3.0 beta 5 and DVD Decrypter. This is what is working for me: I first make sure my media is correct for my burner (mine is a -R,-R/W), then I made a folder on my hard drive named VIDEO_TS. I use shrink to make the movie fit on my disc and then put the results into the VIDEO_TS folder. I then use the startsmart portion of Nero 6 to burn the VIDEO_TS files onto my disc. Im sure there are better programs than Nero, it has lots of confusing features. READ THE GUIDES! Find the links here in this forum. Save money and use R/W discs so you can make mistakes. Read what everyone else is making work or having difficulties with right here in this forum. Im a newbie and still figuring things out myself.

Good Luck!
    Frank

3. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

RecordNow Max seems to be the most reliable burning software, IMHO._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    DXCPlatinum 3.20
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    Dvd2one/Nero 551054[/small]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2003
  4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

5. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

6. marek

marek Member

Thanks a lot guys..I am leaning tords buying the Sony burner only because I have a Sony DVD player and I said what the hell...Another thing is when you shrink a dvd are you taking out like special features and all? Like would a 100 min movie fit on a disc? How would you shrink that down if the other disc is special features and not that one...For example i have a moie that one disc is the movie and the other disc is special features...just thought i add that here since we are talking about what programs you guys use. Maybe each program can do it easier i dunno.thank you

7. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Yes you leave the extras out to save time and to make the movie have better quality. For a 100min movie you can probably save them too.

If you shrink or not depends on the type of the DVD you want to back-up. If it is a DVD-5 then you just copy it using a program like DVD Decrypter. If it DVD-9 which is over 4,7GB of an empty DVD-R then you have to compress it first.

You can do this with tools like:
    -DVD Shrink -freeware you need nero or other program to burn
    -DVD X Copy Xpress - the most simple of all
    -CloneDVD+AnyDVD - maybe the best solution, it also burn the discs but you need AnyDVD to decrypt the disc.
    Other programs also exist as DVD2One but they do the same job.

Check out the trial versions and you will understand which one fits you.