1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How dou you burn a DivX avi to a CDR?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by flrider, Jul 20, 2003.

1. flrider

flrider Member

The new stand alone DVD players now support Divx, but how do you creat a DivX movie on CDR??? None of the newest burning programs support this yet Nero 6 nor Easy DC/DVD creator 6 Platinun allow for DivX creation - still only SVCD and that sux! Help??!
    Thanx!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well I would imaging "Divx Cds" are simply divX encoded AVI files burnt onto a Data CD! I am not aware of any resolution/bitrate requirements for such standalone players so i could not comment on that but simply to burn a divx-cd:
    1. Fire up your burning app
    2. Select Data CD
    3. Burn the divx encoded AVI file per usual

3. ABMone

ABMone Guest

a little of the subject but could you burn divx movies on a dvd-r

and if so then could you get like 4 movies on it or is there some kinda time limit.

4. Praetor

Well... if what i say is right then the limit would be a 2GB AVI file? You might be able to have chapters but since I dont have the player, I am not able to test it... perhaps flrider might be able to tell us

5. mosspa

mosspa Member

You can burn as many Divx movies on a DVD-R as will fit. For an average 680MB Divx, about 6 of them will fit on a DVD-R. There is nothing magic about this. Divx movies are only divx encoded .AVI files. For example, when I am going on a long trip, I copy as many as 10 Divx movies on to my laptop HDD (about 7 GB of space). They appear in their directory as .AVI files, and providing the correct CODECs are available they play upon clicking.

6. maddogg

maddogg Member

i have tried drdivx and the other divx. i have a dvd movie and a avi movie. when i try to use the divx program to encode the movie i get no audio or nothing, no movie at all. any help? thanks

7. flrider

flrider Member

OK I think maybe my question is getting misunderstood- I know DivX encodes to an AVI format only. I know how many 800MG AVI's will go on a disk...what I want to know is why can't I format that beautifully compressed AVI into a VDC or SVCD that will play on KMart's (just an example) $79 "stand alone" DVD player which says it will play, DVD,DVD-R,CDR,CDR-W,MP3, DivX, etc...No it won't play just an AVI burned to a disk...A VCD format has programming that tells the player where to look for audio and video in what files, etc. on the VCD. The usual flavor for the video is MPEG-1 or 2. The program that creates the VCD (NERO, Easy CD) will not allow an AVI in place of the MPEG so it takes 2-3 disks to get one high quality copy, whereas if you could use the DivX AVI, it all fits on one disk, still great quality. Any thoughts?

8. mosspa

mosspa Member

I don't know about K-Mart, but if you snarf up an Apex at Circuit City, you will have no problem playing VCDs or SVCDs recorded as an AVI on either a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R or DVD-RW. I don't know about the DVD+ formats because I don't have a + burner. The APEX will ebven play raw VOB files. Additionally, most of the new higher end players (e.g.m Panasonic) will also now play VCD, and SVCD, and have provision for WMA audio as well. For $46, the APEX is i great little machine to have around, just for this sort of thing. Now, if you are talking about Divx or XviD, then you will need a LiteOn player that has full MPEG-4 compatibility but that will set you back $150, although, escept for things with odd audio formats, I haven't put anything video burned on a shiny 5" disk that won't play in it. Also, it is a fantastic progressive scan DVD player for normal use.

Moss

9. Praetor

Odds are that is an incorrect/falsly advertised product.... the only 2 standalones i know that can handle DivX are made by KISS and Lite-On and certainly wont be selling for $79

10. mac71

mac71 Guest

Please tell me where your Kmart is so I can pick up one of those DVD players that supports DivX playback for only $79. Who is the manufacture of this $79 standalone dvd player that will support DivX playback?

11. Praetor

hehe indeed... i wish they were selling at that kind of price

12. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

13. mosspa

mosspa Member

You people have a problem reading English? My response to flrider was correct. He asked a general question about multi formats. The $46 APEX at Circuit City will play DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW (and I believe + R, and +RW). It also plays VCD, SVCD, as well as many formats of XVCD and XSVXD. As I continued to point out in the statement "... if you are talking about DivX and XviD, then you will need the lite-on player...", the APEX does not support those formats otherwiser I wouldn't have said you need the LiteOn. I am aware of the KISS machines, but given the fact that they use the same Sigma Designs decoding chip as the LiteOn, and the LiteOn is at least $100 less expensive than the cheapest KISS machine, only sombody eager to part with his money would opt fir the KISS when the LiteOn is already more compatible with more formats and has garnered a larger user base. Ah, the Public School system.

14. mac71

mac71 Guest

We wasn't talking about what you said mosspa. We was refering to what flrider said in his/her last post about a $79 standalone dvd player at k-mart that will support DivX.

Read flrider's last post!

15. Praetor

Indeed... furthermore... KISS players are only sold out of Europe and as such shipping would be a pain in the arse (i could be wrong of course). The Lite-On of course, caters to the North American crowd hence shipping wont be so painful.

16. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

I can read and write in English pretty well. :)

Im really not sure what there is to argue about in this thread.....

@maddogg

Have you tried creating divx movies with other programs besides Dr. Divx? And what do you mean by the other divx?

17. maddogg

maddogg Member

i have divx and then i have dr divx. no i have not tried to make other movies. i found dvd squese and i think that is all i will need. as for the dvd players, i bought a pioneer at wal-mart for 50 bucks. plays everuything. thanks for the help and advice. i will post when i get thru trying to convert or encode a divx movie with another program.

18. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Really? Wow that sounds pretty good for something that costs as little as 50 dollars. Well, good luck with your encoding.

19. Praetor

Agreed.... not much point in arguing hehe. You might consider using VirtualDub or TMPGEnc's video output feature to do the encoding?

20. maddogg

maddogg Member

well boys i made a mistake, the dvd player will play anything but divx, sorry for the goof up. as for encoding i am using a program called dvd movie pro. it does a real good job. as for the divx, no luck still no sound or no picture. but who cares, i have very good svcd and vcd to play, and when i get the dvd-r to put in my computer i will use or try to use the other 6 or 8 programs i have found. peace bro.