1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is it really?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by N2HU, Nov 16, 2004.

1. N2HU

N2HU Guest

how hard is it really to install an xecuter2.6 wire install for a rookie modder with no experience soldering... how hard is it to remove the solder from the lpc holes on the board using a braid.
    is soldering as hard as it looks...i mean i read all these horror stories about damaged traces and shorts.
    Id love to install the solder way but damn i dont know what to expect. Thanks for the feedback...

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Hi
    Soldering is all about prep, and taking your time.
    I use a protec desolder pump to remove the solder from the lpt on a 1.0 board, MUCH better than braid.
    Contrary to what some people seem to think, the type of solder you use DOES matter, the stuff from radioshack is too thick for xbox modding, unless your careful you can get bridging and solder blobs on the board.
    If you are using the underside d0 then the soldering is easier, as the hardest part to solder on an xbox mod is the topside d0
    I have put a link here for you, have a look through some of the pics of the 1.6 I have soldered. There is also some topside d0 soldering pics too I did.
    and also some help on here with the 2.6 modding.
    http://sky.prohosting.com/rlseuro/xboxtut1.zip
    btw the pinheader install is easier than the wire install as the whole pinheader stays in place, much easier to solder.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004