1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hot is hot..cpu

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hogan, Jun 21, 2004.

1. hogan

hogan Regular member

I've got an old (2 or 3 years) amd xp1700= based system
    with 256 megs of 2100 ddr,80 gig 5400 hdd,dvd player, nec dvd burner, sony cd burner, 475 watt ps, 3 80 exhaust fams, cpu fan running at 5400 rpm and 2 80 intake fans.Mobo is a MSI KT3 ultra.Cpu is running around 47c. Is this too hot, what is the normal range for cpu temp. I went to AMD.com for help but couldn't find the range. Thanks in advance for the advise.
    Hogan

2. kebabs

kebabs Guest

Its a bit high but i think the're designed to run up
    to 80c before it becomes a problem

3. hogan

hogan Regular member

Thanks. i have a program that came with my mobo called pc alert that watches all that fun stuff for me. According to it 47 is hot. This was my first system to build and I'm not quite sure what I was doing. Seems to do everything so far, just the cpu temp thing.
    Hogan

4. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

is a bit hot but not to sure about amd im intel man im running a p4 3.2 overclocked by 20% been switched on 24 7 for 5 weeks and its running at 32 to 34
    p.s if its worring you take off heat sink clean and apply some artic silver thermal paste.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1gig ddr 2700
    asusp4p800 delux mobo's
    120gig sata hdd's
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound
    no fancy lights way to girly
    all times 3
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

The max temperature for the Palomino 1700 is roughly 90° -- which is not to say that you shouldnt be worried beforehand. Considering that your chip is using the 0.18micron process a chip temperature of 47° is good. On a hot day and under duress, if you dont go above 60° then your cooling is more than adequate .... many people who complain about chip temps fail to take into account that the older chips were made using larger (and heat intensive) processes. :)

Is that the stock fan you've got on there?

6. hogan

hogan Regular member

Thanks, just didn't want to fry everything.

7. Praetor

Kewl... like i said, it's worth noting but probably not worth stressing over :)

8. JSRife

JSRife Guest

According to this test I just ran here are my Temperatures...Let me know if these are normal for an AMD 1800+ Processor.

Board Temp 30.0c/86.0F
    Cpu temp 35.0C/95.0F
    Power/Aux temp 44.0c/111.2F

9. Praetor

Well is that within 10-15 degrees higher than your ambient? If so then you are ok.

Seems kinda low for a Palo ... is it a Palo or is it a Tbred? In either case its fine -- the chips can handle up to 90°C

PSUs are naturally hot, seems ok

All these temps are dependent on your ambient temp but they seem good

10. JSRife

JSRife Guest

Is their such thing as Over cooling? Thought about getting an extra fan for my case....Take the side of the case Drill a hole in the middle and throw in a Case fan or whatever.....Do I got to worry about not having enough Voltage? I don't know how my Power supply rates on my Computer? When I get a video card and 1 extra fan for my PC will it be able to handle it? Power wise? does it take much energy to run a Video card and a case fan? The way my computer came is with a fan cooling the processor and the basic fan you have at the back of your computer. Would a an extra case fan be needed?

11. kebabs

kebabs Guest

Hi,
    It Depends on your power supply and what other
    stuff you have in your comp if you don't know how
    much power it supplies open your case and it should
    say on the top

12. Praetor

Unless you are apporaching temperatures appreciable to absolute zero (that's -273ºC btw) then no.

I'm no electrician but it the wattage you should be concerned about rather than the voltage (so essentially the amount of current ur drawing ... am I right Neph?). In either case, all you need to to is connect the fan to the mobo (if its got one of them 3 pin setups) or to a spare 12V line ... you may need to get a 12V splitter if you dont have enough but most of them fans dont suck up more than 5W (and you approach 5W with them bigass 120mm fans at that).

Easiest way to tell is to pop off the case and read it off the PSU

Prolly.... its the video card you should be worried about ... they can easily suck up 100W.

It never hurts

13. JSRife

JSRife Guest

If you can fry a Hamburger on top of it, then it may be a little to hot, lol... If you have to run your A/C because the room is blistering from the CPU overheating, yeah it might be on the hot side. If you see smoke unplug it, ha ha

14. Praetor

In case you didnt know... you can fry and hamburger on most procs (well AMD procs anyways and older Intel ones)

Not often willl this happen... usually its kinda the other way around

If your setup allows you to see smoke directly from the chip -- that's the problem. Get a HSF on the thing! Heehee

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Guest

for a TBred 35C is a safe temperature...nothing to worry about. I dont think its possible to "overcool" with air lol...you could have 10 fans on it and all you would get is loud, air resistance, and alot of air pressure. i have seen prometia systems running -20C and farther...the cooler the better. the biggest worry is condensation, that can be terrible with chilled water and the like. but with air you have no worries. closest thing i can think of is ALOT of humudity in the air....and even then that is rare in most places.

16. Praetor

35 is damn nice for a Tbred.

17. Kurei

Kurei Member

i have an XP 2000+..it boots up at 29.5C then idles at 27.5C (wel, its d lowest i hav seen it go). wen im running games, it goes up to 41.5C..very, very slowly..in 0.5C increments. is it jz normal for the proc to have that range of temperature? i live in the Philippines, and its kinda hot in here.. :D

18. Praetor

Thats a very nice temperature (i'm starting to think only my Palo was hot). That's a very respectable temperature for that chip both at boot and under stress and especially so considering your locale. :)

19. askyew

askyew Regular member

My P4 2.8c runs about 40c idle and up to 62c when really stressing it (looping sis sandra). I do have an ABIT IC7-G which are known to read about 7-10 degrees higher than other boards. The reason being is that they use the intel thermal diode in the cpu and the monitoring chips(windbond) specs for calculating the temps. If you are worried about it get a third party cpu cooling solution, Zalman makes some affordable and good units.

20. Praetor

Wow is that with stock cooling? :)