1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long CDRW lasts ?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by chethong, Jun 26, 2002.

1. chethong

chethong Member

Hello all, can anyone tell me how long does a normal CDRW lasts ? Or how many writes are possible ? Thanks in advance.

2. chethong

chethong Member

Gee.... doesn't anybody at all knows or have an idea on this question ?

3. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I heard...... (no actually....)

I read a very long time ago a web page that suggested CDRWs can last for about 'a thousand' reburns. (Nobody was really sure). The cdrw metal alloys used can only be heated and cooled for a finite number of times before they cease to be affected by the laser. (Constant changing from crystalline to amorphous state) <I spelled those words incorrectly> Anyhoo, I think the biggest problem is in the disc's TOC, which, if you do a lot of reburns and/or file updating, gets changed so frequently that it is the first 'to go', even though the actual *files* that the TOC points to may be recorded properly.

(In other words, it is the <T>able <O>f <C>ontents that gets 'worn out' first.

In practice, I usually find that CDRW discs are, overall, *more* reliable than an average cdr. (If there is such a thing). I've never had a problem yet with a cdrw, even a very old, first-generation Memorex, which is *at least* 2 years old -- probably three --, and I use that disc a LOT, for updating programs and such.

CD-Identifier won't tell me who the manufacturer is -- it simply says, "Disc ID not allowed" - Don't you hate it when it does that?

Simplified opinion: Your cdrws will probably outlast your cdrs.

-- KlingonAgent --

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Klingon,

I don't use CD-RWs that much (hey - what is that nick for then??), but I wouldn't say they are more reliable that CD-R. I currently can't remember any promised life spans (see some CD-RW manufacturer websites), but I think they are shorter than with CD-R. Also there are many negative reports about earlier CD-RWs not holding the data.

But I am sure others will give us more info based on their experiences.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2002
  5. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

Memorex 4x CDRW

ATIP info from disk - Read by Feurio 1.65
    Recorder: YAMAHA - CRW3200E
    ATIP start of lead in: -02:32:65 (sector: -11465)
    ATIP start of lead out: 74:41:00 (sector: 336075)
    Manufacturer code: 97 27 10 - Plasmon Data systems Ltd. (Type: 0)
    Reference speed: 2
    Minimum recording speed: -
    Maximum recording speed: 4
    Unrestriced use: No
    Disc type: Rewriteable
    Disc subtype: Normale CD-RW (max. 4x)
    Target writing power: 5
    Power multiplication factor:4
    Target y value: 5
    Erase/writer power ratio: 3

Usually unreadable 6 monthes after they are burned with Yamaha 6416S at 4x.

6. A_Klingon

Hmmmmm.... very odd.

For data discs I use Adaptec Direct CD, because, even though it uses up valuable space for its packet-writing format, it gives direct drive letter access, and I always use a DOS window to burn folders & files on CDRW discs.

Direct CD has never failed to perfectly write or erase or modify files on *any* of my cdrws, *but* when using it with some cdrs, the discs become unuseable/corrupted. (coasters). So, to that extent, my cdrws are more reliable than my cdrs.

And when using Sony CDExtreme burning software (I buck the popular trend and don't use Nero) to make vcds, I always make my short *test* vcds with cdrws first. I use just the one, *same* cdrw for the test vcd - a very old TDK made in Ireland I believe, and the disc works superbly with each and every new burn.

In other words, as fate would have it, I've never experienced a single problem with any cdrw disc, for any recording job, using either burner software, and some of my old cdrws are quite 'beat-up' (scuffed/scratched) too.

(Maybe I've just been lucky).

I made a printout of the web page that described the estimated life span of cdrws, but *damn*, I no longer have it. It was published shortly after cd burners became mainstream, and the author went into quite a bit of detail. The info didn't come from a manufacturers website (they *all* say their cdrws will last for 52 million years), nor from the popular CDR/RW FAQs, such as Andy McFaddens, but rather, from a guy who burns music cds for radio productions (does it for a living). His l-o-n-g (pages & pages & pages) article on cdrs/rws was well written and he seemed to *really* know what he was talking about.

(Frig, I wish I knew the URL, but alas, it's gone.....)

Regards,

-- Mike --

7. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

My first CDRWs were not formatted, just burned as ISO9660.
    After 6 monthes, the original files were not readable, but the CD could be erased, freshly burned, and be read without problem.

8. A_Klingon

It would be interesting to see how long your new, re-burns will last, Pio.

I don't think cd-rw.org (Lasse?) likes Direct-CD very much, but it's always served me well with cdrws. (Zero failures). In fact, if you're willing to spend a wee little more per disc(about .75c canadian), Memorex sells 10-paks of cdrws that are already pre-formatted with Direct-CD. So, *somebody* must be using them. (Offices & business I would expect, who don't want to take the time to do the initial, necessary full format, which on my burner, takes about a half-hour.)

(With direct cd, you don't always have to specify "track-at-once", "leave-disc-open" as with most burning software -- you simply treat the cdrw as one big floppy -- adding files whenever the mood strikes.

-- K.A. --