1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long it take to recompress?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by jowook, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jowook

jowook Member

I have P4 2.2c. I guest this isn't the fastest cpu, but still decent. But I feel it takes to much time to recompress from DVD movie ( DVD 9, I guess average is 7.5GB) to 4.36GB. It takes 25 mins with dvd2one. I'm planning to upgrade cpu, if the faster cpu can significantly decrease time. I heard P4 is better than AMD64 for video compressing. How long does it take with your guys' cpu?
    I wanna upgrade P4 northwood. Is there speed difference between northwood and prescott?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there jowook, welcome to aD,

You're right on spot with your 25 minutes, As you see I have a bit faster unit and I that size DVD done in about 20 to 22 minutes.

heh, heh When you say "significantly reduce" - if you think that 3 to 5 minutes (maybe 6 minutes at the outside) is significantly faster then get the Prescott chip and you'll save maybe 6 minutes off what you're doing now. For the cost vs. speed/time, I'd stay with what I had. You'r not in the slow lane with a Pent 4, 2.2 - think about a 3.2 maybe, which should fit right in your motherboard and max out your RAM and you'll be good -

Many other pple (the vast majority) have encoding times of 45 minutes and more - with some other programs like DVD Shrink with it's extras - it can take 2 hours + to get your files ready to burn -

I can tell by your tone that you have just recently started Backing video up so I have a word for you - "patience". You'll nees a lot of it doing this type of work. It gets worse - If you're "antsy" and start multi-tasking, you'll start making coasters - If you try to go full speed ahead with your burning, you'll make more coasters. Making Data disc, go right ahead and burn at 16X no sweat - BUT with DVD Video, your doing processor entensive work and most pple here keep their frying speed to 4X and 6X - relax sit back and watch some tube - The results are worth it.

Cheers my friend and welcome to Video land :)

Pete