1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to make a dvd capture?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by imperialv, Feb 28, 2005.

1. imperialv

imperialv Member

Hi guys,

I just want to know how long will it take to make a DVD film. Starting from capturing it from an analog source to burning... Please also indicate the hw/sw used?

2. clifton51

clifton51 Member

However long your movie is, that is how long it will take to capture it..I.E., if it is 90 minutes, then it will take 90 minutes to transfer it to your HD. Processing to mpeg & burning will depend on your computer. On my PIII 800Mhz, 512 Meg RAM it takes forever..well, not quite..to process and burn a one hour tape (from DV camera, although the same will apply to capture from a VHS recorder) to DVD. Actually it takes around 8 hours (I usually capture the video, make any 'adjustments' to it, then let it process it overnight(making sure of course, that there is a blank DVD disc in the drive!)..most of this time is spent converting the captured AVI file into mpeg and creating the VOB files to be written to the DVD).
    On a friends 1.7Ghz, it takes about 3.5 hours.
    Software used for both processes is Pinnacle studio 8

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

57 days, 16 hours, 37.98765432 seconds...
    Much faster if I type in my password and log on. <grin>
    How long is a piece of string?
    (get the picture?)
    Because there are too many variables in computer speed, programs, capture formats, encoding formats, authoring applications, etc. etc. etc., there's NO way to say how long YOURS is going to take.
    Done right, I can get a 2 hour capture, edited, authored, and onto dvd in about 3-5 hours.