1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many write cycles does an SSD have before failure?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by gera229, Jul 24, 2010.

1. gera229

gera229 Regular member

How many write cycles does an SSD have before it fails?
    How many write cycles does a USB flash drive such as the x-mini by patriot have before it fails?
    How many write cycles does an SD/SDHC card have before it fails?
    How many write cycles does a HDD have before it fails?
    What about CF cards?
    Do any of these slow down over time the more write cycles they have?

Are there read cycles, and are the results with read cycles the same as with write cycles based on the above?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1. Depends on the SSD
    2. Usually stated in the product specs.
    3. Depends on the card.
    4. There is no maximum for mechanical hard disks, there is simply a MTBF measured in hours. Such measurements are rarely accurate though, some drives only last 3-5 years, others can go for decades.

Wear-leveling is used in all flash-based drives, SSDs included, to abate the write cycle problem. Eventually, however, sectors will fail. When they do, if the card/drive is being used as a PC drive, this wil be registered in SMART, and spare sectors get used. There aren't many of these, so as soon as one sector fails, the drive should be replaced urgently.

There is no, noticeable slowdown with read cycles to a particular sector. However, continuous usage all over the SSD will cause slowdown. This is a non-issue if the TRIM system is used. Make sure any SSD you buy supports this (pretty much all new SSDs do, but TRIM will not work in RAID).

CF/SD cards will never exceed their load cycles if used normally (mp3 player/camera etc) - it is only an issue when used as a PC drive, due to the increased count of load cycles in that environment.

3. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Thanks, I have a few other questions about my nzxt tempest case and bluetooth usb adapter:

My NZXT Tempest case had two blue lights working in the front, one side is now dead and no longer working, is this the bulb burnt out or what might have caused this? Can it have been that there was a static shock in between the wires that connect to a molex?

Also I have a USB bluetooth adapter that worked when I first connected it to the pc, but the second time the pc killed it. What is the problem? Is it a static thing or usb failure?

Can these things/problems/happenings damage the pc?

Thanks.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LEDs can't be burnt out unless they are substantially overvolted, and this would never happen in a PC without destroying the entirity of the system. NZXT cases are made in china, to relatively moderate standards of manufacture, so it's quite common for the wiring to them to come away. You may be able to form some sort of repair to it, depending on how easy it is to access, and where the fault is.
    Your USB Bluetooth adapter seems to cause all sorts of problems, just throw it away and buy another one. Faulty USB peripherals can wreak havoc.

5. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Since i have a corsair PSU do you think it's more likely a wire problem than a static/overvolt burn out problem?

The PC crash usb network adapter was fixed, but this one is a cheap usb bluetooth adapter that broke, I guess it's because it's from china. I really wonder what could have caused it to break(static or over volt) because I got a replacement and it's working fine now. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It won't be an issue with the wiring from the PSU, if one of the two LEDs still works. It will be an issue with the wiring inside the panel at the front of the case. Whether it's accessible or not I'm not sure.

Cheap no-name parts often break by themselves due to low quality manufacture, it is unlikely to be your PC that caused it to fail.

7. gera229

gera229 Regular member

Ok, one of the two leds still work, but it seems like it's about to fail since it's blinking.

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

LEDs are always accessible...sometimes you may have to remove the front panel, and sometimes you have to remove drives to remove the front panel, but you can always get at the LEDs. Make sure that the solder is tight. Some LEDs are mounted on small circuit boards, while other cases will just have them as individual LEDs that have wires coming out of the back of them.

I see 3 possibilities:

1.) A bad connection at the LEDs themselves, or somewhere on the LED circuit board if there is one. (easily fixed with a soldering iron)
    2.) Loose mainboard connectors on LED wires...this can be loose on the mainboard pins, or loose on the inside of the connector, where the wire is clamped in. Either way, a sewing needle and some tiny needle nose pliers should do the fix.
    3.) Damaged/defective wires...they may have gotten crimped or otherwise damaged, and sometimes super-cheap wire is internally defective to begin with, in a way that current can flow, but as current flows, the wire gets worse.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If one is flashing and the other isn't, that should rule out number 2 - I believe both the long vertical LEDs on the Tempest are power LEDs.

10. gera229

gera229 Regular member

What is a main board?(motherboard?) And what do you mean loose mainboard connectors on LED wires?
    The leds are just the bulbs and the wire that connects to a power supply molex connector.
    So I supposed I don't have a led circuit board nor it is connected to the mainboard.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, main board = motherboard.
    The LEDs likely are just on wires to the molex connector, cases like the Tempest don't use circuit boards because the buttons and LEDs are too far apart.

12. gera229

gera229 Regular member

I suppose it's the faulty wiring since it's connected to the PSU molex. Thanks.

13. gera229

gera229 Regular member

I suppose it's the faulty wiring since it's connected to the PSU molex. Thanks.