1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much compression before noticeable?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Spoon1956, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Spoon1956

Spoon1956 Guest

I realise this is a fairly subjective question and what is acceptable to one will be unacceptable to another.

I have been merrily compressing DVD quality videos with DVDShrink. I am concerned that whilst I am unable to notice any video degradation on my small screen, will the picture appear degraded on a larger screen (if I can ever afford one)?

How much compression is too much?

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

With DVD Shrink if the files are compressed by more than 20% I use 'deep analysis' to render the best quality compression. Compression itself I find OK up to about 36%, although I have gone higher than this. If a movie will only compress by more than 36% for one disc after re-authoring then I use DVDXCopy instead to go on two discs. It really is a case of experimenting yourself. You can use an RW disc for that with no wastage.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Spoon1956,

True, so very true "What is too much?"

I've got me a 60" TV and I truly can't see much difference between the original and one I've compressed from 7.9GB to 4.3GB using my good friend "DVDShrink".

Yes, I've re-authored it a couple of times and when I did used Deep Analyses each time but the only time I noticed anything in playback is in pause or slow-mo.

As far as DVD X Copy goes - I only use their XCopy Xpress - compressing to a single disc. No noticeable loss there at all -

I only wonder about Plasma or HHD TV -

"P"

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

With about 35% compression, the movie usually starts to look rather nasty on my 18.1" TFT- monitor. Even on a large TV it might still be ok quality but I usually go for two discs like Discmania said if the compression ratio approaches 35% or so.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I'm not much of a tv person myself so i could be horribly wrong here but couldnt you (theoretically at least), play the DVD back on a highquuality CRT and if it looks good on that then say that it looks good on damn near anything? (it seems to hold for crts & projector screens i dunno about 50+ screns or plasma or nothing tho). Just a thought

6. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

personally i would keep the quality to a min of 60% of the original.
    100% = good
    less than 60% = bad (try to stay at 70 min usually)

I have gone lower and it depends really on personal experiences, but anything from 60% to 100% look's good on my 32inch widescreen

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi,

As I mentioned, I have a 60' TV, a regular one NOT a HDD screen. My monitor is a 19"er and as has been said, looks OK here too.

On hi-special-effects movies there is a difference around the edges of the monsters, kind of "blockie". You'll know what I mean when you see it. Another member said to look at smoke, it gets "blockie" around the edges as does a real tight close-up - the edges look squared off.

Aaah well - that's my 2 cents -

"P"