1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much faster is a 10000rpm than 7200rpm HDD?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Knuck1ez, Jun 2, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not a Velociraptor.

2. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

Oh........Oops, that caught me by suprise. I though every 150GB Raptor is a veloci, never seen any regular raptor besides the 37gb and 74gb ones.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

I guess Sam has forgotten how hot the maxtors used to run.. mine was always too hot to put your hand on.. but it did a great job keeping my coffee hot all night... one day I decided to stick a fan near it.. and it failed the next day. After a year knocking about in my junk box it came back to life... some idiot has it with a load of his data backed up on it.. I bet it won't work now after a year hanging about somewhere else.

and as for how much faster.. I guess the actual answer is 2800rpm *grins*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  4. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

I guess the title should be changed from 7200rpm to 5400rpm vs 10000rpm cause my Hdd is even slower than I expected. Still debating if I need a raptor though, the velocis out of my price range and Ill never even use the 500gb on the caviar black. I have a 1tb internal, a 120gb internal, 2 250gb externals and a 750gb external. 500 more is overkill (although I might actually manage to fill them all eventually lol)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maxtors got hot, agreed. Seriously though, leave a hard disk with no fan running against it, Seagates are the only brand that will break the 60ºC mark. I actually burnt myself removing one once, I could feel that for a good couple of days.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  6. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

So, in short... would a 74GB raptor as an OS drive help speed up overall performance vs my 5400rpm TB HDD as an os? I want to put everything I need into my build before I actually build it. Adding new parts can be a pain(PSU HSF and other components get in the way)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Considerably. Just don't expect it to be quiet.

8. Knuck1ez

Knuck1ez Regular member

The noise is fine, I have 2 of the loudest fans in my current desktop. Logisys made them, they have nice leds but are loud. Sounds not an issue. And you said putting a fan on a hdd is actually bad, I have a haf-932 and theres a 230mm fan just for hdd's is that bad or are you talking about hdd specific fans?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It can be bad. Unless you keep your room very cold, you're in no danger, but I'd advise against HDD temps lower than 27ºC or so continuously.

10. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

You don't have to keep the drives above 27C...but there is nothing to be gained from pushing them below this point (no point in super-cooling a hard drive). Your main concern should be with too much heat, not with a lack of heat.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not actually the case, from a study carried out by one of the manufacturers, I forget who it was. They drew a graph of reliability with temperature, it sloped down after about 53-55ºC and then dropped off a cliff shortly before 60ºC, but it also dropped substantially down at the other end of the graph near 26-27ºC. For most people this is no issue as drives very rarely run this cold, but if you live in a very cold room, actively cooling your HDDs could be detrimental.

12. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I know this is a bit late but I am one of those people with the cold rooms. All of my hard drives are actively cooled and sit at room temp for the most part. Reading 28-29*C sitting idle on the desktop right now for my 2 500GBs. I've never had a single issue with drive reliability or speed. Using several different types of drives including 1 Samsung HD501LJ, 4 Seagate Barracudas, and a 1TB WD Green Power.

Mind you hard drives don't need much cooling. A single 120mm fan will easily cool about 4 drives problem-free. It's when they get no airflow at all when temps become an issue. Only excessive cold (~25*C) or heat (60*C+) seem to have an effect on HDDs. And even then only when they're running. It has less to do with the structural integrity of the platters and more to do with expansion and contraction of the mechanicals. AFAIK if you let a drive come to room temp before running you should have zero issue outside of a faulty drive.