1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much RAM ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lprophet, Feb 21, 2005.

1. lprophet

lprophet Guest

I run an AMD XP3200 ,with ASUS M/B , & 512 MB DDR PC3200 . Is this enough RAM , or should I add another stick ? The encoding on some discs can take up to 30 Min. Since I am on an DSL modem , I always keep my Anti-virus & firewall going.
    THANKS !

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

You can always use more ram,you do have enough to do what you want though.
    Since you didnt mention what you used to encode with,I cant really say, but those times dont sound that bad.
    blaze on
    jD

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  3. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

You should be fine with your system, I think IMHO more DDR RAM won't make a hugh difference.

I only use a P3 processor with 512MB SDRAM. A decode & burn using Nero recode takes about 50 mins.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  4. lprophet

lprophet Guest

THANKS ! What'S IMHO , and I use decrypter & shrink.
    Win XP , of course.

5. orbiter5

orbiter5 Regular member

IMHO = in my humble opinion

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

My computer had the same specs as yours, then I added another 512 Ram--did not increase the speed of rips much at all--disappointed me a little, but I get the same speeds as you, unless I tick the high quality enhancements in DVD Shrink, then it doubles the amount of time. I turn off my anti-virus etc. because I am not on-line, do you stay on-line while encoding? I too would like to know what IMHO are?

Whitfield

7. lprophet

lprophet Guest

Yes I do stay on-line. I have a DSL connection , so the only way I know of , to go off-line , is to unplug the ethernet connection.
    I did add another stick , and it didn't make much difference.
    Thank you all , for your replies.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

lprophet

On your Taskbar at the bottom of your screen you can right click on your connection, and click Disable to close your connection without having to unplug your Ethernet cable. It might also be easier to create a shortcut to your internet connection and place it on your desktop to re-connect after you are done. This will be located under Network Connections where you can drag it to your desktop to place a shortcut there to “enable” your connection.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  9. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

lprophet--
    I am confused then--I also have a DSL connection and I would guess many others here do as well--that does not mean we have to stay on-line--because if we did, then we also would want our anti-virus running--I am sure your Internet Provider lets you "sign-off" therefore taking you off line--when we copy DVD's, we should turn off all anti-virus, in fact any other programs, as this tasks takes a lot of computer resources. In other words--just because we have a DSL connection, does NOT mean we have to stay on line--I think your times and quality will improve if you turn off anti-virus etc. Good Luck

Whitfield

10. madgreek

madgreek Guest

The more memory the better my friend. Especially if you want to do things while the disks are burning. I just bought some more memory to take me up to 1 gig. The more the better. I have a celeron 2.4 northwood core that I can run 3.2 ghz overclocked. Burns disks great. But the more the better.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree. You can't have too much memory, well 3 gig is probably overkill, but I too just added another 512 stick of pc3200 cl 2.5 to my system and although the times didn't change dramatically they did improve. The big difference I noticed is that before while encoding and burning my hdd was getting hammered pretty hard (light was on almost constantly). Now it only dimly flickers. Best $98 I've spent on a performance item.

12. hursty

hursty Active member

plenty of memory there,just run the task manager when encoding,you will be able to monitor what processes are running/cpu usage etc etc
    you shouldnt have any problems

13. movies27

movies27 Regular member

lprophet the more ram the better.But I would advise you to turn off any other programs such as firewall & anti-virus because they can cause read errors on your movie...i speak from experience.