1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much would it cost me.....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lckillah, Apr 2, 2006.

1. lckillah

lckillah Regular member

byron02 what if i get a new hd for my old pc do you think i could put the windows xp pro on it? i just i wanna use this old one for like downloading and surfing the net but the other one for gaming.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That PC's ok, homeg269, but I can't hide from you that the D920 is a pretty slow processor, in fact it's actually the second slowest ever made (above the 820). However, the rest of the system looks solid. What graphics are you running, or are they integrated?

I'm impressed by those 3dmark figures byron02, I get 5 thousand and something. I'm wondering what an X2 4200 + X1900XT will achieve.

3. homeg269

homeg269 Member

thats what ive been hearing from people and from other forums, so i might be switching to AMD.

Ill be going on something along the lines of this new setup:

Cooler Master CM Stacker 830
    Antec Phantom 500W
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz ADA3800BVBOX
    ASUS A8N - Product line
    TWINX1024-4000PT
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Plextor PX-716A
    Plextor PX-230A/SW-BL
    WD RAPTOR X 150GB SERIAL ATA

Im still not sure on the mobo, video card, and possible the PSU. I wanted to build a quiet pc, thats why i chose the fanless antec, not sure if that is the best way to go.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Either get the premium board or the A8N32.
    I wish I'd gone for the 32 board because its got the 8 phase power on it, but I didn't like the layout as much as the premium.
    Anything power than the premium and your looking at jumpers for the sli.

5. byron02

byron02 Regular member

A new HD for your old computer? Yeah you could do that. I would open it up and make sure there's room and everything, but yeah. You'll probably have to run it IDE which is no fun, but if you were just wanting a new OS on a newclean HD it'd work fine.

@homeg I went with the A8N-E, I had chosen the SLI, but I will not be running SLI, so it was a waste of money. This board had everything I wanted besides IEEE1392. I would have loved a firewire port, but I can buy a PCI version for like 5-10 bucks of newegg. The A8N-E supports SATA-2, which was suprisingly hard to find on a full size ATX board. Found it on ALOT of M-ATX's. Plus it's nForce 4, which I am really liking.

Oh, and the Raptor is a great HD. I wish I had the money for one, or four really.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  6. homeg269

homeg269 Member

So if I do go with the A8N-SLI mobo, what video card would be best. I am trying to get something along the lines of the All-In-Wonder. Also what about the memory?

7. homeg269

homeg269 Member

sorry thats A8N32-SLI

8. byron02

byron02 Regular member

system memory of video card memory? System, I wouldn't go less than 1G, and video 256 should do you good.

Will you be running SLI?? Doesn't sound like it since you are talking about the All-in-wonder

9. homeg269

homeg269 Member

i was refering to system memory.

10. byron02

byron02 Regular member

Personally for overall performance, I'd run 2 1024MB sticks in dual channel.

11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

All in wonder wouldn't be the best choice of card for that board.
    Better looking at Nvidia cards that support Sli.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It doesn't actually matter whether or not you use the board's SLi facility, only the best boards have SLi on them, so often single-card (i.e. sane) people choose SLi boards to get the best functionality. Although he's upgrading, friend and fellow member Arvinf is currently using an A8N-SLi Premium with an X300Se. (simply because after going 64-bit he couldnt afford to replace the graphics card!) I'd ideally like the A8N-E board because of what I've heard about it, but if that's not available I can see it being a K8N ultra.
    With system RAM, if you're gaming go with 2x1024MB. That's currently the best option. 1GB just isn't enough any more. I can't run FEAR at all because I only have 1GB of RAM.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

My mate has the A8N-SLI premium with 2x512MB Corsair 3200 extra low latency , with a 4400X2 CPU and 2x6800GT's in Sli, and he is playing fear with all the settings maxed out.
    Kind of blows away the theory of needing 2GB the play it.
    It is only the recommended amount of memory, not the minimum amount.
    I've also just done asearch and can see plenty of people are playing it on 1GB of ram.
    Its got more to do with the system as a whole cpu/ram/gpu.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So here's me running UT2004 and Doom 3 at 1920x1200 and 1280x1024 respectively on high settings without glitches, and yet I can't play the starting level on FEAR at 640x480. I can only assume it's a glitched install. I'm due a reformat anyway, I've had this windows install on for nearly 6 months! I haven't left it that long since I was running 98 soon after I first got my old PC...

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Theres still a big difference between a 3000+ Barton and a 4400X2 CPU.
    And the 6800GTs in Sli are far far higher spec than an AGP X800 Pro.
    His latest PCmark05 score was a little under 10K, so maybe run the latest version of PCmark and see how that compares.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes but an Xp 3000+ and an X800 Pro should at least be able to run the game at low settings.

17. lckillah

lckillah Regular member

@byron02. hows the windows xp pro man. is it working properly? i'd like to hear the feedbacks from you bro.

18. lckillah

lckillah Regular member

byron02 sent you a pm man

19. byron02

byron02 Regular member

It's going great. No real problems. Microsoft's Genuine Advantage tool gave me a little nudge, but I got that taken care of.

20. lckillah

lckillah Regular member

nice. good to hear man. i will order my stuff this week. will let you know how it goes once everything is done. prolly send you a pm or reply back to this thread.