1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old/young are you (to all)?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by chriso123, Sep 28, 2002.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

CR3AT10N,

You should too be a part of it. most of these guys are way younger than my 62 years. Baltekmi, for example. He's a young guy who first came to the old thread I'll guess 6 months ago. He was (and is) a HUGE intel Fanboy! And he had this huge (sorry Baltekmi) chip on his shoulder like he was going to win the Intel vs AMD war , Single handedly!! Today, a totally different person. Still an Intel Fanboy for sure, but he's part of a family made up of all these different personas from all over the world. That goes for the mods too!! He! He! The Mods are not intrusive and are decent about how they handle things when someone gets out of line.

The Posts in this thread will teach you a hell of a lot about AMD, Intel and Overclocking. Stick around and enjoy one of the 2 or 3 best threads on the Internet!

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

2. CR3AT10N

CR3AT10N Regular member

Thanks theonejrs, there is a really good sense of communtity on here!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I came here pro-AMD and still am, without wanting them to take over the world, but that aside, though people come and go, this is a cool place to be, no matter how the 'uneducated' may feel!

4. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

creation - you don't need a fancy title to be part of the riveting discussions we have here!

theonejrs - you make me feel like a baaaaby at 17 -- thanks for that ;-)

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Amazing, a staff member at 17, and how long have you been such?
    I've had a couple of people remark on how they thought I'd be a lot older than 18, but meh!

6. ireland

ireland Active member

JUST INFO

After a loss, 'complicated grief' may set in

June 21, 2006 05:25:23 AM PST

It's normal to feel sadness and grief with the passing of a loved one, but an intense and persistent yearning for the person who died, difficulties "moving on" with life after a period of time, and a sense that life and the future are meaningless and purposelessness, are signs of "complicated grief," warns a group of Dutch doctors.

"Although some of these symptoms also occur in people with normal (as opposed to complicated) grief, in people with complicated grief these symptoms are very intense and persist for at least 6 months to the point of functional impairment," Dr. Paul A. Boelen, a psychologist and psychotherapist from Utrecht University in The Netherlands told Reuters Health.

In other words, he said, "people with complicated grief are basically stuck in a state of chronic grieving."
    Complicated grief is a fairly new concept, Boelen said. It is not currently included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the official diagnostic system from the American Psychiatric Association. However, Boelen predicted it would be in included in the next edition of the DSM.

"That is because, among other things, there is now very much evidence that complicated grief is a very debilitating mental health condition, that is distinct from more familiar depressive and anxious symptoms and syndromes, and that poses people at risk for considerable and persistent health impairments," Boelen said.

He and his colleagues present a model of complicated grief in the current issue of Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice. They hope their conceptualization of the condition will help facilitate research on this new concept.

Who is most at risk for complicated grief? General bereavement research has indicated that people confronted with deaths that are violent (due to suicide, homicide, accidents) and that are untimely (loss of child) have greater risks of getting stuck in the process of mourning than people confronted with other losses, according to Boelen.

"Moreover, personality styles such as insecure attachment and high neuroticism have been found to be risk factors," he said. Negative thinking and particular types of avoidance behaviors (i.e., suppressing thoughts and emotions about the loss, and failing to adapt ones every day life) also put people at risk for CG.

Boelen and colleagues have developed a cognitive-behavioral treatment approach, which aims to get the individual to process the loss, identify and change problematic beliefs and interpretations about the loss. This strategy has proven to be "very successful," Boelen said.

SOURCE: Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, Summer 2006.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Intriguing, but also depressing.

8. Lethal_B

sammorris - been 17 since last September, so I will too be 18 in a couple of months. And yeah, I too thought you were an old man! ;-)

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, is it just assumed, or do I know too much? (eek!)

10. CR3AT10N

CR3AT10N Regular member

I'm only 14. (OMG i'm so small)

Does 'complicated grief' only apply to those who have lost a very close person through death, or also from a marriage break up? When my mum broke up with my dad she had chronic depression or 'ME', is this the same kinda thing?

11. Lethal_B

sammorris - you know a lot, but it was the way you spoke which made me think you were older. :)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh right! Well that's pleasing to know!

I'm not sure, CR3AT10N, because they seem to reckon it's a completely new phenomenon, but in my opinion, it can only be just a severe form of depression.

13. CR3AT10N

CR3AT10N Regular member

Tru

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Going for the shortest post award? LOL.

15. CR3AT10N

CR3AT10N Regular member

lol, i've edited it even shorter, if we did have a competition i'd win. #snigger

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bite me. Right, now let's stop this nonsense!

17. CR3AT10N

CR3AT10N Regular member

lol, ok.

Ahem!
    Proceed...

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

You children play nice now! LMAO

19. CR3AT10N

CR3AT10N Regular member

LOL. This thread has gone kinda off topic though lol.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

We'll the only strictly "on topic" thing to say is how old you are!