1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old/young are you (to all)?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by chriso123, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

There is a difference between deserving command over a pupil and downright lack of respect for said pupil. The way I see it, just because it their job doesn't mean they should be allowed to act in the way that a few of my teachers do.

However, this is a different issue which I can't be bothered going in to.

2. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I see what you mean Jack and Sam. I dont judge based on age, more so on the content of posts. You two are far more mature then most people your age, I think most people will attest to that. With regards to age and status on the website, that means nothing whatsoever. Since we are given titles based on our post counts, commenting on 12 years olds having the same status as a 22 year old is silly. Pushing enter is not age biased lol!

Jack, I despise you! I am 7 years older and we are both addicts! I feel I should be Super aD Addict, grrrrrrr! Lmao

I now have no idea what my original intentions were for this post :/

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

sorry if my post caused offense

I'm just very surprised by the age of the members of this site, i would have never guess that such a large part of afterdawn's population was so young, although i guess i joined when i was 19ish so it makes sense, but when i see the ages of some of the members i'm amazed (not sure why??), but i guess thats why i like afterdawn the members are mature, knowledgeable , and for the most part young, so thats why we share common ground

i have been told before i speak with a rash and condescending tongues so i apologize once again
    -see ya guys
    tripplite

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Now that shows some maturity. To admit when you might have been wrong or said something off color. ;)

I will say that some of the members that have "ADDICT" status may not deserve it. Normally when I post I try to say something of "substance" but there are those times that the "substance" is hidden by "humor".....hehehe. ;P

Anyway as long as a post is meant to be helpful and educational then I can't complain can I?? I've just seen a lot of posts by all ages in the "actual forums" that are CRAP!! If you're "ADDICT" already then you can say what you want and most people just let it slide but in all seriousness people the "forums" are for educational purposes I think.

SV = Safety Valve .......... Who cares what you say as long as the intent is not to provoke anyone into a flamatory fit. lol.

....gm

/me slaps Ripper with a slimy large TROUT!!!

edit: grammar and verbiage.......

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Svtstang: Super addict? Now there's an idea! It kind of shocks me I've posted 11,000 messages to this site, pretty much. Maybe mum was right when she said I spend too much time here...
    greensman:
    When you get to addict status, you try it. Doesn't work that way, I'm afraid.
    One of my only criticisms of afterdawn is that once you become addict status you have to be a shining rolemodel or expect a tonne of bricks to fall on your head. But anyway, we digress.

6. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I applaud you Sam, I know the majority of those posts contained extremely useful information. I have learned a great deal about computers by reading your posts, thank you!

Speaking from personal experience, this is anything but true. I have been suspended twice, once for defending myself and once for responding to some random racist bigot. I am also questioned regularly, that is most likely because I frequent the forum consoles where respect is hard to come by!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

I guess that I stand corrected. ;P I've seen a lot of ADDICTS get away with more than they deserve. lol. I don't keep up with people's bannings and such so I guess I'm being disrespectful to the ADDICTS in my presence. Sorry is all I can say. ;)

To all those that spend their "spare" time here and add pertinent information.......THANKS.

....gm

edit:
    The full quote with corrected spelling. :S There was a little humor there but maybe not appropriate for the situation. ;)

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

not me i can't sneeze wrong around here lol

9. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I hear that, I know that there is one mod that hates me. I will not name names, but I have been told this is private. Despite my title, I must behave or I will be gone...although I try my best to act appropriately regardless.

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Ripper

Pupils can win, over adult teachers. When I was a senior in HS taking physics, they sent us a teacher who had no idea of what he spoke. After 3 days we had him crying in class and he never returned; we got the correct teacher after that.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    We had a 7th grade History teacher that was crackers! I think he believed that he was there for every major battle throughout history. He talked like he had a mouth full of Oatmeal. We sort of helped push him over the edge (they used to call that a nervous breakdown) that culminated in a very scary moment where he dangled a student out of a second story window by his ankle and threatened to drop him! Only bad thing (for him) was the kid lived right across the street from the school. His Mother was out in the yard hanging laundry and saw him do it. It sure was funny watching her beat the hell out of him with a sauce pan! LOL!! She pretty much scrambled the few remaining BBs he had left I think the boys in the white coats came along and collected him with a net! LOL!! We never saw him again and we got a Sub, that they hired full time the following year!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>}

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Holy hell, and I thought we drove our teachers nuts!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    What you have to remember is this was like 1956. Things were different back then, and in most respects better! The teachers then hired on young and most stayed until most were long past it! Some of them had even taught my parents 25 years earlier! I almost failed third grade because my teacher didn't like my mother! It was the kind of thing they could get away with in a small town! I barely passed I was a good student until I discovered girls. At the tender age of 10 I had my first girlfriend! LOL!! We used to go to her house every day and do our homework after school, and sort of babysat her somewhat senile Grandmother. We lasted 2 years until we were 12, then She moved away and I only saw her every now and then after that. We both moved on! LOL!! We're still best of friends today after 53 years! We usually talk for an hour or so on the phone a couple of three times a year!

Best Regards,
    Russ :>)

14. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ive deciede that the age of members doesn't matter, with ripper being only 15 and having such a great knowledge of burning/computers i guess kids in this generation are becoming more and more tech aware, (this wasn't the case with the kids i grew up with) so i shouldn't really care about age that much anymore, i guess that barrier can break when its dealing with knowledge!!

-se ya around
    tripplite

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

So now Ripper is into burning computers?? New one for me. lol.

Ripper isn't smart he just seems that way. Well he's a smart-A$$....hehehe. :p

Age is relative, think I've said that before. I'll agree that Ripper does show some "maturity" and "knowledge" for his age but remember he is still only 15. NOT a bad thing but age in some instances does matter and I think that wisdom, maturity, understanding, sympathy, empathy, and a few other things do come from age. NOT always but in most cases I would say.

Jack and the others, PLEASE don't think I'm picking on you cause I'm not just making a very small and weak point. lol.

I will say that the "generation" of today has more advantages than the generation of my time (with computers that is). lol. At 39, not old but remember the AT and XT computers where just coming out when I was in school and NOT all schools had a computer lab or computers that were allowed for student use. I remember when I was a Freshman in college my friend's dad got a new computer and it was a 386 (don't even try to figure that one out...hehehe) and cost BIG dollars. lol. Yep had to use my friends computer for papers and such because we didn't even have a computer at our house. :( Sad that is when I look back on it. lol.

...gm

16. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i was 9/8ish and it was 1995-8 and windows 98 was shipping(am 21 and still can't do math), i was thrilled because i would finally be able to enjoy faster internet- bill gates, but once i got i was like.....WTF,I'M GONNA BUY A MAC AND GIVE IT TO BILL GATES FOR F#$%&*^ X-MAS, sorry i just really hated 98 and remember computer getting out of there "development stage" in my childhood

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

We did complex mathematical computations with Slide Rules and/or logarithms. One thing about taking a test (chemistry, physics, astronomy, higher math), they couldn't give you a lot of problems because the actual math took so much time. Calculators would have been Nirvana. Computers, well onto the next level. But today, I can still do the math if I have to.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

I forgot how old you were garmoon. hehehe. ;P

I haven't done the math in years. Took 4 semesters of Calculus in college but that's been 20 years and if you don't use that stuff you forget most of it unless you have the text laying around. lol. Helped a friend of the family a year or so ago with some Matrices and Limits. FORGOT how much I hated Limits. hahaha. ;)

...gm

19. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Dont feel bad greensman, I took advanced business calc as well as advanced stats about a year ago before I graduated....I don't remember a damn thing! I can go as far as anti derivatives, even that is pushing it!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Greensman: I've used a 386. Granted, it was when I was only about 9 though, round a friend's house, and it was an old throwaway then. Still useful for playing things like The Incredible Machine, Commander Keen, Scorch and Prince of Persia though. Heh, memories...
    Tripplite: My first PC was Windows98, but it was the second edition, specifically. I though it was alright, personally. However, it was a brand new PC at the time, not an old unit with 98 put on it, so maybe it was better suited. 1999 it was, an 11th birthday present, and a very expensive one at that. Especially considering it was only a P3 450!
    Garmoon: on an interesting note, I've never had to use calculators for most arithmetic. It still bugs me when I see people use calculators for things like 7x8. Then again, I suppose, doing two figure by two figure multiplications in my head seemed to give me a strange sort of 'hero' status at school. When the sines and cosines came along though, I was undone!