1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old/young are you (to all)?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by chriso123, Sep 28, 2002.

1. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Wow, I didn't know that. Not surprising really, don't speak a word of Finnish.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ah, proof of the low education level in your country, obviously, even my daughter who's three, speaks Finnish -- as well as English.

3. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

I speak a bit of Spanish and am learning in school. Actually I quite like to learn new languages. Sadly as I am 12, last time I tried to go to a Spanish class I was kicked out because I was not an adult and therefore not covered by the insurance.

Maybe some lessons in Finnish from you dRD would halp me?? Just kidding. I know how busy you always are.

Oh wait I do know one Finnish word "morkkis", meaning "mortal hangover". Only learned that when dRD posted it.

4. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I can't say that I have ever met anybody born in the USA that learned the finnish language. Now, in Miami Florida, almost everybody needs to be bilingual in order to succeed, because of the amount of spanish speaking people living here.. it's all about economics, if there were a lot of finnish people here in Miami, I'm sure that would all change.

Klingon, man I'm still trying to pull myself off the ground.. you are a trip! LoL!

PS: Things are going alright (for now) at my job. The 4th manager in my division has been let go, so we have no managers. I might know by this week whether or not I will be promoted, transferred, or what plans they have in store for me.. I personally think that we will all be fired by the new year, so I will most likely need to search for a new job soon. Anybody know who might be willing to hire a smart ass know-it-all MCSE certified computer guru in the Miami area? if so, please send me a private message ;-)

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

MSCE, let me see now,...... hmmmmm, ahha, I got it:

Microshaft Certifiable Shite Eunuch!

Sorry VCD, every time we chat, I seem to insult. Most apologetic! You simply do not deserve it.

I hate to break the mould of the undereducated ignorant Englishman, but I speak three languages, English (although I also speak a rudimentary dialect known as American), Czech and French.

My wife (you will probably think me showing off here) speaks 6 languages, although I must confess a couple are similarly related : English, Czech, Polish, Slovakian, Russian and Italian. (Czech and Slovakian are similar, although Russian and Polish, although Slavik, are not)

Paul.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I can speak hmmmm 4 languages. English, Irish, French & real fuckoff bad language!!!!

VCD, you're the only person I know from afterdawn from anywhere in the states (I think!) so I can't help you with your job trouble. However, you do live in America so just conveniently fall down the stairs of the building you work in if you get fired and claim $20,000 as a good going away gift!!

7. VCDjunkie

not everybody in the USA are ignorant bastards.. I myself took 4 years of French in high school. Haven't had much practice in the past 10 years, but I'm sure I would pick it back up quickly if the need arised. I know a slight amount of spanish, kinda have to because I live in Miami, but I would not consider myself fluent by any means.. I think the rest of the world puts more emphasis on language skills than the USA. My girlfriend was born in Russia, so she speaks fluent Russian, some Italian, and fluent English. most likely, when I have children they will learn Russian and English, and hopefully they will learn more on their own.

8. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

I predict a spanish test sometime soon after half term. We have almost finished the unit so it'll be an end of unit test. Damn Spanish tests. The lessons or good but the tests are not.

9. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

It is a shame that an obviously intelligent articulate and tolerant American is in the unfortunate position of losing their job. This is the way of the world, real talent and ability is not praised. We worship non entities, like big brother stars and so called musicians, whose ability is, to put it charitably, questionable. We can't get enough if it. Reality TV now seems to be so popular it will never die. Obviously there is so little going on in our own lives that we have to be force fed the mundane existence of others in order to feel alive. As for me, it is simple, I travel, see the world and its many colours through my own eyes and ignore the media, for it is as powerful as it is corrupt.

Where did all this come from? My genuine annoyance at the lack of value placed on real ability, in the face of the so called talent. Good luck finding a new job VCD.

Paul.

PS Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ;-)

10. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

All popstars nowadays have their voice changed with machines. To be a popstar all you have to do is look good and dance well.

11. Dela

I thought that post was very interesting loaded and also the fact that it's true. Also chris, pop stars don't even have to be able to dance anymore and plastic surgery can make em look good, it just depends on who their family are if you know what I mean!

However, I disagree that it will go on forever, Rock/Rap are quickly taking over the music industry so lets just be patient!!

12. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Long live un-manufactured artists!!!

Also loaded good luck keeping your job.

Oh just thought I'd mention i've changed my sig. Thought it was a bit boring.

13. VCDjunkie

chriso123, I followed your lead and decided that I needed a catchy sig in order to make sure people know what a sadistic, sarcastic smart ass I really am, just in case they missed that when reading my posts! Oh, and I think loaded is in no immediate danger of losing his job, wish I could say the same for myself ;-) Tomorrow, the Vice President of my department is having a meeting with us, so maybe that will be when I learn about my fate with the company.. who knows, if anything interesting happens I think I owe it to all of you to keep you posted regardless.. I have a source who is pretty well connected, and he tells me that I don't have anything to worry about.. hope he's right!

14. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Good luck with your meeting.

15. VCDjunkie

thanks! meeetingg postponed untli tomorrrow.. keeping fingers crossed, makes it much harder to tpye

;-)

16. Dela

Good luck vcd, im sure you'll have nothin to worry about. Now chris, notice that you only have 4 days off left!!! I warned you, now whenever you read this thread, you'll be pissed at the fact that when you first typed that post, you had a full week or about 9 days i think!!

17. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Dammit that post. It'll suck going back to school. My head of year seems to hate me. Just for being late I got a detention. She acted like it was the end of the world because I was late. And through the whole detention I had to write lines.

I must not be late.
    I must not be late.
    I must not be late.

And it went on and on and on. Ah well that's life. LOL.

Also good luck VCD.

18. Dela

Oh I hate detention. You think you have it bad? When you get detention here, it means detention on Saturday + Sunday. That is the worst of it! I actually dunno who my year head is this year, I dont want to know either!

19. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Best to steer clear of year heads.

20. VCDjunkie

to anybody who cares, I had a one on one conversation with the Vice President of IT for my company today, I made it clear that my intention was to be manager of Support Services.. All I know for now is that he is considering it. in the mean time, I have never been so stressed out in all my life. I have all the responsibilities of a manager without the pay, and without having somebody who works for me that can handle the workload that I do, so I am still working harder than I should, and I am being given more and more to do by the new consultant/manager who is riding my ass like a horse.. I think he is testing me, maybe I am passing his test, who knows.. if not, I don't think I want to work there as a tech anymore, either I get promoted or I find another job.. I don't think I can handle being somebody elses bitch again.. I have been the one behind the scenes making somebody else look good for far too long to go right back to doing it again..

Anyhow, enough bitching, even though that is what Safety Valve is for.. I don't think anybody should be subjected to any more whining than this.. I know what its like to hear whining, trust me.. My girlfriend is the biggest whiner of them all.. maybe she is rubbing off on me.. ARRGHHHH... I'm growing boobs, and they are sore! and I think I have PMS!!!

Oh, there I go bringing up those sexist comments again.. better stop before the butch lesbian society sends somebody over to read this forum and they decide that we are all sexist pigs, and then they call the human resources director at my job and get my ass fired... who knows, maybe that would be for the best.. NO MORE STRESS!!!!

;-)