1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old/young are you (to all)?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by chriso123, Sep 28, 2002.

1. regor

regor Regular member

we can chalk it off to "moving averages" ddp...

Moving Averages
    The tables of dates used in horoscope columns and mass-market Sun Sign books are based on the average dates the Sun enters each Sign (i.e. when it crosses the Cusp point). In reality, the actual date can be a day earlier or later in any given year, because our human calendar does not exactly correspond to the actual movement of the Earth around the Sun. While our calendar shows a year as 365 days, it actually takes 365.25 days for the Earth to return to its original starting point after revolving once around the Sun.

We have a Leap Year every four years to bring the calendar back into line with reality and adjust for those four quarters of a day by adding one full day that year. Being born in a Leap Year does not really affect the "Cusp dates" or the real astrological Cusps in your horoscope chart - but what makes a Leap Year necessary is also the reason the so-called "Cusp dates" are not always the real date the Sun moves into the next Sign. Astrological calculations take Leap Years into account when they translate your own calendar birth date to "Universal Time"; so the Cusps or Signs in your personal horoscope chart are accurate even when you were born in a Leap Year.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Nephilim, same sign as my mother!! you are both bull headed!!

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

don't forget my brother and uncle, their both tauruses. i have to admit that although they are stubborn sometimes they are great company.

@regor

awww! never knew you had it in ya, much thanks!

4. regor

regor Regular member

yea but Nephilim has got it all... he has the twins, oscar and meyer, to pick him up when he falls; take him to ball games; wash his back; be his pillow on long train rides... he's got it made! He doesn't have to worry his little heart out on something as trivial as being born on the cusp!

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Saggy puss, 23rd November! (1965) AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

6. EvaMae

EvaMae Member

whats the point of a leap year?

7. ddp

without the leap year, the calender will go out of sync with the seasons so that christmas will end up easter & all that. they added the leap year when the gregorian calender(which we still use today) came out in the middle ages.

8. EvaMae

EvaMae Member

hmm. it still sounds strange. what changes in a leap year? i thought it was only february that changed.

9. ddp

it is only febuary that chages every 4 years as a day is added to that month. so instead of of having 364.25 days in a year, we get 365 days in a leap year.

10. EvaMae

EvaMae Member

how the heck do you know this stuff?

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

The earth takes less than 24 hrs to rotate, so the added day over a 4 year period makes up for it. I just worked it out to be 23hrs & 59mins!
    This is basic stuff I learned at school.
    Just don't get me started on the light speed theory or the string theory!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  12. kinza

kinza Regular member

yeah u probably know a lot about astronomy and such "pulsar"

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

One of my favourite hobbies Kinza, my heroes are Ed Witten & Stephen Hawking. Hence my nick! I wanted Quasar (derives from quasi-stellar radiation) but that was taken. Funny thing is, I've never seen a quasar in this forum!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  14. kinza

kinza Regular member

yeah me neither. i dont know much about stephen hawking but i did go to his website once. care to elaborate(a bit)? :)

15. ddp

EvaMae, age, experience & when i was in elementary, i was into space stuff big time!

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Stephen Hawking proved that black holes existed, that's how he got his Doctrate, he now holds the position the Isaac Newton held at Cambridge uni. Ed Witton is the chap who solved the string theory problem with quantum mechanics. There ended up with 5 theories about the string theory (Einstein tried to solve unification, the relationship between quantum mechanics & the theory of relativity - E=MC squared etc) String is the way to unify the 2. Simply because the physics of atomic structure & relativity don't work with the same equations. (Basically the laws governing how particle physics work & how the laws of gravity, mass, big physics versus small physics, etc work)

Do you want me to go on? I could talk all night about this!

17. kinza

kinza Regular member

dont worry, we can tell how much you want to talk about this. some of that stuff was WHHOOOOSSSHHHH, right over my head, but i understood most of it. hawking has always interested me, well sort of. i read about ALS on his website, his words were quite inspiring. we should all take some of his words for thought.

"However, while I had been in hospital, I had seen a boy I vaguely knew die of leukaemia, in the bed opposite me. It had not been a pretty sight. Clearly there were people who were worse off than me."

just a bit interesting, and a little fun fact on his website it says he was born exactly 300 years afer galileo.

18. EvaMae

EvaMae Member

i bet that i'll never be smart enough to comprehend all that.

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ Evamae, don't be too hard on yourself, it took me a while for it to sink in. I don't kid myself that I know it all. Lots of it goes right over my head too!

20. kinza

kinza Regular member

i had to read it like 4 times before i could understand the parts that i did :p u know, i really dont like science, it was just never my subject. now...math is another story.