1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old/young are you (to all)?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by chriso123, Sep 28, 2002.

1. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Part of growing up is to know enough that you don't know enough

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I love maths, one evening in my local hostelry & someone asked how much water would it take to raise the level of a local reservoir by 1 inch?
    I am that sad, I went home that night & worked it out!
    I worked out one night that if the earth was 1" in diameter then the sun would be 9' 1" across & would be over 300yds away (325 I think!) The nearest star, Proxima centauri, was over 23000 miles away (I think!)
    I have no life!

Pulsar

PS, why do Americans call it math & not maths? Just that it is short for mathematics, not mathematic? As in plural, not singular. Can't work that one out!
    LOL

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

all americans have problems with words from "english." i dont know how american english was created, i guess whoever created it just want every english word to be different from british english. like weird pronunctiations to simple words like schedule.

u really like math pulsar...i dont like it quite that much. just thinking of a career in math or business. im probably going to be an actuary or a cpa. might do MBA.

4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

I like maths depending on which teacher it is the first one i had it went over my head so i had to get a friend to tell me, the one i have now starts a new subject every lesson while half the class is half way thru yesterdays work. Science i had a wicked teacher but hes doing something else not sure but now i have my maths teacher for science :(

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

my teacher last year for geometry was great but this year i have algebra 2 and the teacher is even better, i think its because i like numbers more than shapes. im enjoying my 10th year of school, i actually like my classes. i have digital photography to get my required arts credit, that class is soooo funny. the teacher stops in the middle of a sentence then she mutters to herself and starts a new sentence. i laugh the whole period and she just stares at me, but then again, im the only person in the class who knows what she is talking about.

6. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Heheh cool, we only have a couple teachers like that
    :)

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

The American way of spelling came from Webster I believe, he decided that the British way was too difficult, so he made them spell more phonetically.

That doesn't explain why Americans drop the "h" in herbal though. 'Erbal tea sounds too lazy for me. But then again I love the idiosychrasies in our language. My maths teacher in the last 2 years of secondary school was the best teacher I had. He made us realise that you should never be made to feel embarrassed asking a question.
    He was cool & a fantastic teacher! My love of maths, English & science only really came to the fore AFTER I left school!

Pulsar

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  8. kinza

kinza Regular member

yeah, i really hope i like science and english a little bit more. i used to hate english, but science has taken its place. math has always been my subject of choice.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

kinza, american english is just a basterdized version of british english as is australian english, canadian english & the other commonwealth english. nobody created the american english as the original 13 colonies of the us seaboard were from england. it is just slang or lazyness in saying erbal tea instead of herbal tea.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Us Yanks dropped the "h" because we believed The Queen was a hermaphrodite with only one testicle so anything like "her ball" was simply unacceptable to us.

11. regor

regor Regular member

@ pulsar...

my take is this... if quasar isn't being used, just taken, you should press to have it re-assigned to you. I bet Nephilim and the others could make that happen if you really wanted it.

12. regor

regor Regular member

I've never heard of erbal tea... it is and always has ben herbal.

and what's up with phonetics???

advertize
    advertise

ok I'll buy that...

fort night = bi-weekly = every two weeks

quid ???

mind the gap ??

personally though, I like the British english. In general, english is bazaar whatever flavour (or is it flavor?). What colour or is it (color?)

13. catfreak

catfreak Active member

So Nephilim, is that why when Diana used to tell the Queenie to go F herself, old Liz would go over to a corner and end up breathing hard? And is it true that she farted Charlie out?

14. regor

regor Regular member

farted what? corn, maybe? that'd be awesome. Auslander could write his paper on corn and use the queens' farts, at least in comment if not in direct reference to the many benefits of 'corn'.

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's a booboo! a year is 365.24 days, not 365.25; that's why every hundred years, we skip a leap year--balance, balance, balance, folks.

16. regor

regor Regular member

Ich bin ein 'unbalanced', Auslander... you should uv already figured that out or is it really ich bin ein 'stupid'??

whatever the case please do not inform my mother, it would shatter her image of me as a 'perfect' child!

Ich bin ein 'perfect' in her eyes.

17. neojapan

neojapan Regular member

sorry about going off topic but Phoenix21 stole my sig I don't really care about the psp,xbox,but the afterdawn sig I made oh well I ain't mad i'm actually happy someone used something I made :)

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you're not weird or stupid, regor...simply weird, different, and "special." :) whoe else would braid their ear hair?

neojapan: and i've seen people copy Nephilim and a few others. I've yet to see anyone steal my sig, though! XD

19. EvaMae

EvaMae Member

aus, if someone stole your sig ppl would know immediately. i only know a few people on here by sig. kinza and aus are the only ones i know by name AND sig.

20. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Regular member

sorry neojapan if ya want i'll change it