1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How prevalent and critical are crc read errors?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bazilla, Jan 25, 2005.

1. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I've been burning dvd's about 5-6 weeks now. Somewhere between 30 and 40. At first, I didn't even think about checking the dvd's for crc read errors after burning them. I figured that if they played in my dvd players, I got a good burn.

For a couple of reasons, I've started checking my burns with dvdinfopro. All my recent ones have crc read errors, though not enough to make them unplayable. But I do know that some of my earlier burns did not have [bold]any[/bold] crc read errors, so I'm wondering what's going on. I'm also wondering if I'm wasting my time worrying about this, and should just go back to assuming they are okay if they play okay.

Are a few crc read errors common enough that I should ignore them, or are they the sign of something that I should try to get to the bottom of?

Without having exhaustively analyzed every dvd I've burned, the errors [bold]seem[/bold] to have gotten worse as I have (a) changed the software I use to burn dvd's, and (b) changed the media I'm burning to. But before you assume it is the media, hear me out.

When I started, I was using dvd decrypter to rip, and Roxio Easy DVD Copy to shrink and burn. The media was Memorex DVD+R, labeled as 4X, but actually 8X with a PRODISC manufacturer's id. And in this combination, I don't recall ever seeing a crc read error the few times I checked.

Then I switched from Roxio Easy DVD Copy to dvd shrink for the shrink and burn (with dvd shrink using Nero to burn). I was generally happy with Roxio Easy DVD Copy, except that it seemed to strip out captions (not subtitles) where dvd shrink didn't. And being hearing-challenged, while subtitles are better than nothing, closed captions are what I really prefer.

Then I discovered that one of my dvd players will not play DVD+R. So I bought some Maxell 4X dvd-r's (yellow top) with a RITEK G04 manufacturers id. I've burned about a half a dozen of those now, and every one of them have crc errors. Is this to be expected from RITEK G04 media?

Are there dvd shrink/nero settings that would be gentler on the media, and give a better result?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. mcfly982

mcfly982 Member

I'd really like to know this too...

bazilla: Here's my take on it:

I've been backing up my DVD's for some time now and like you, I thought if they played in my DVD player, I got a good burn... Man, was I wrong.

Some of my disks, when played, would start glitching (big pixels all over the place) and sometimes eventually freezing in my dvd player. This happened usually towards the end of the movie so it was hard to tell if it was going to happen or not. The entire movie would play perfect and then out of no where, it glitched out.

This led me try dvdinfo pro fr the disks I created. The first ones I tried were the ones I know have glitched on me. The results were not surprising. Dvdinfopro detected crc errors on the bad disks respective to the time when the error started.

In other words, if the DVD glitched in the middle, dvdinfo pro would show crc errors in the middle of the test. If at the end, it would show errors at the end.

I'm going to do many more tests as I now set up an old computer just for dvd testing.

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

I would lose Roxio. What speed are you burning.

4. mreik

mreik Member

i just got dvdinfopro, how do i test for crc read errors?

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

@rroettger

I get tired of people making blanket condemnations of Roxio. While there are well known problems with Roxio Easy CD/DVD [bold]Creator[/bold], that's not the product I'm using. You'd have caught that if you'd read my post more carefully. You'd have also caught that the Roxio I use -- Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold] -- is not the source of the problem. Roxio Easy DVD [bold]Copy[/bold] burns just as well as Nero, thank you very much.

@mreik

Click on the icon that looks like a magifying glass (sixth from the left, just to the right of the icon with the "RPM" on it).

@everyone else

I'm surprised no one had an any opinion at all on the actual question I posted. But, with a bit more experience under my belt, I've formed my own. While I might overlook at occasional, minor, crc read error, persistent read errors burn after burn are unacceptable, and indicate a significant problem.

And that's what I get with the Maxell 4X -R "Yellowtops" (RITEK) media that many here have recommended. Every single burn I try with them has enough read errors on them to causes skips and pauses on playback in standalone dvd's. In other words, crap.

While I don't have the range of experience with numerous other media that some of you have, these are the only media I've purchased so far to crap out on me like this. My Memorex (-R and +R, both PRODISC) and TY media burn flawlessly (as long as I don't burn faster than the rated speed of the media, of course). Either I got a bad lot of Maxell/RITEK's, or my burner (Sony DRU 710A) just doesn't like them for some reason.

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

i personally don't care for maxell discs
    their scans are about the same as memorex discs i have

i would stick with taiyo yuden discs and some good riteks or prodiscs. that is all i use

using the test you are using, i would be concerned about any bad blocks. these are actually unreadable sectors if they are red

anything less than green in this test is unacceptable and is a matter of time before data loss

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

this seems to be a classic example of poor media and why not to use it . i own a sony dru710a that works well with decent media . bazilla did you notice that maxell (ritek) media are not even on the sony compatibility list ?http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/710mediainfo_gb_all040820.html
    do you think maybe using media compatible with your burner might help ? hope this helps , it some where to start anyhow .

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  8. hursty

hursty Active member

do you use dvd shrink?

if so.have you set the size to custom>4350gb?
    this will stop you burning at the end of the disc,where errors are likely to occur.