1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to achieve good burns?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Clyde, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Member

I know this question sounds so stupid and would most probably be answered with a "Duh" or something like that. But my TDK1616DLN seems to be protesting with every media type I use to burn things.

TY's media has been very reputable but I think the results (I see for myself) are otherwise...
    I tested the Disc Quality with KProbe and Nero's CD-DVD Speed and it turns out that most of them have very high PI values (ranges from 150-400) and very high PIF values (from 30-60). They also produce very high spikes. I know I'm missing some right tips on burning DVDs. I need help...

I've been using TDK's DVD+R RicohJpn medias, Maxell's DVD-R TY batch, and Fujifilm's DVD+R TY medias.

I do not overspeed the discs. I burn at their rated speed.

However, I usually burn discs while multitasking. E.g. Playing Winamp, downloading stuff and surfing net all together. I use Nero and see that the burning is constant, and the cache is always full; to me, it shows that data is constantly fed to the buffer there shouldn't be any problem... (or not)?

I also have about only 8GB to 10GB of free HDD space when I burn stuff.
    My TDK 1616DLN is connected to an individual IDE slot in my motherboard; not sharing with the HDD.

What am I doing wrong? Please enlighten me!

2. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Welcome Clyde,

Most people on here agree that burning at 4x is the way to go, reguardless of the disc's capabilities.

Search around the media forums for what type of media people with like burners use. I use branded Ritek Ridata and have burned 100+ without a coaster. But every burner/person has a favorite media.

Also it's recommend that you disable anti-virus,screensaver,internet and other programs while burning.

Sometimes my Hdd space dwindles to the 10-15 Gb level before I start burning some stuff off and there never seems to be a problem.

ScubaPete has some really good guides/tips on here so you might try doing a search for some more information.
    Then again there are LOTS of extremely smart/helpfull people around. Just take some time and surf around your bound to find some helpfull/interesting things.