1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How-to add Project to Batch in FairUse Wizard?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SmartHome, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SmartHome

SmartHome Member

I have searched and searched on how to add a project to the batch section in FairUse Wizard. Does anyone know how this is done?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

If your trying to do several ISO's at a time, you need to process each ISO seperately when you get to the last screen where you set the bitrate, near the bottom right there is a button "defer processing(enqueve)" you need to press this button and it will take you back to the main screen.
    Now the ISO you just process will show in the BATCH PROCESSING box, now you can process the next ISO and press the "defer processing each time. Always press "defer processing" if you press "NEXT" it will only convert the last ISO that was processed.

When your ready to start the batch, you need to start it from the main screen, in the BATCH PROCESS box you will press "process all projects" and all the ISO's will be converted. That's how I do it, I usually process 3 at a time with no problems.

3. SmartHome

SmartHome Member

Thanks Jony! Works perfectly.

4. techluver

techluver Member

Hi and found this information useful for movies etc however I have come acrosss a weird problem.
    IF the iso file contains several episodes ( 4 30min episodes per iso )
    and I then add multiple isos for some bizzare reason only the first episode within the iso is added. This problem is extremely frustrating, has anyone else come across this and is there a workaround ?
    Thanks in advance

5. SmartHome

SmartHome Member

Yeah there is a small learning curve with FU. It took some time to figure all these things out.

Once you choose your project name and find the ISO you want to use (with multi-episodes), click next. This takes you to the chains you want to process. Click on the first chain then hold down the ctrl button and choose each chain after. Once you have all the chains highlighted you click next. Once the chains are built you come to the cropping screen. When you are finished cropping click next. This takes you to the field combination screen where you can choose whether it is Native of IVTC. Choose the one you want and click next. Here you choose the encoding and resolution options. After you have made your selections click the Defer Processing (enqueue) button. This next screen shows the chains that will be processed in this Project. Here you MUST click the button just under the FU image (sun) that says Defer Project Processing. This adds the entire project to the batch list. If you only click next then it only adds the first chain in the project.

Now you can add a new project. Just remember to defer the project if it has multiple chains.

Good luck!!

6. techluver

techluver Member

Fantastic - thanks for the tip - it's amazing what one wrong click can do and how much frustration comes out of it. Just out of interest , what kind of compression do you use on your divx files ? The bitrate I use is around about 1300kbits which is pretty good quality.

7. SmartHome

SmartHome Member

Glad I could help.
    Not sure how you are using your videos but I have tried and used many/most of the programs out there and I have to say that once you get the hang of FU, it is the best program out there. As long as the iso is done correctly then it works flawlessly. I have noticed that not all iso's work. Iso's that I did not create myself, I end up running through DVD Fab Platinum prior to loading into FU. Otherwise most of the time it will not work.

As a rule of thumb I convert any show under 1 hour long at about 750MB-1GB (1800-2000kbits) in file size. 1-2 hours I do at 2GB (around 2000kbits) file size, and so on. If the movie is one that I want in a higher quality (like 300 or Saving Private Ryan) then I bump the size up some and set the encoding speed to quality. I normally keep the encoding speed in the middle. I always do 2-pass as well.

I convert all mine to xvid (personal preference) and play them from my NAS server to any room in the house. I watch them on the home theater through the D-link Media Lounge DSM520. Image looks great on a 50". Honestly can barely tell the difference from the DVD.

Hope this helps some.

8. techluver

techluver Member

I never quite understood the difference between using divx or xvid codec apart from xvid being open source. With my standalone dvd player I noticed that any files in xvid format over 1 gig - seemed to be jumpy and not play smoothly, however the same with divx played perfectly. Hence I tend to stick to divx - depends on each individuals opinion I guess and personal taste. I have used many different programs for conversion in the past including total video converter, auto gk and handbrake but must say since coming across fair use , I haven't used anything else :)
    There is cool features, most of all the deinterlacing is great for recorded shows as my dvd recorder only records in 480i.
    Just out of interest - why is it you convert to such high bitrates - it is so close to dvd in size , wouldn't it be easier for you to just play the ripped iso file ?
    One other strange thing, don't know if you have come across this, but when I record from TV in widescreen format eg video clips or something, fair use doesn't pick up that it is a widescreen format but rather 4:3 and hence the aspect ratio is all out of whack. Very annoying, anything I can do to tell it, it's a 16:9 ratio ?

9. SmartHome

SmartHome Member

Yeah it becomes a preference thing between the two. I started out doing them in divx but was having troubles with it so I switched to xvid and liked it better. They says that divx has a slightly softer image and xvid is a little sharper. My main reason for using it is because it works great and I have had the greatest success with it.

The reason I use such a high bitrate is for quality. I am watching these on my big screen TV. I want it to be as close to the original DVD quality as possible yet keeping the size down. I would say that on average converting the movies at 2GB they are at least half the size of the ripped iso. PLUS the biggest reason I did not just use the ripped iso was because it did not work well or that often on the Media Lounge. The xvids work awesome.

As for your other problem with the TV shows, I cannot help. I do not record shows. Other than cropping it correctly and playing around with the output video size in the resolution section I have no idea. Maybe someone else on this forum could jump in and help with this question. I do know that the output sizes change when you check and uncheck the boxes just to the right of that section. I know that I spend a little bit of time cropping and finding the right output video size. Sometimes they match and other times not.

So how do you use your videos? On TV or computer or ??

10. techluver

techluver Member

Yeah, it really is what works best for each person. I watch most movies on my 40 inch lcd tv but also like keeping size down and especially hate the menus and copyrwright messages when inserting dvds. I just want to watch what I have with one click :)

Especially shows with several seasons, it's great to just have 20 or so episodes on one disk.

I rarely keep things recorded from tv permanently but would just like to have the option of best quality. Oh well, all in all I am very happy with the quality. I haven't tried 2 pass yet, may give that a go today.

11. kcblakely

kcblakely Member

Guys: I must just be thick, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to batch process several ISOs. I don't ever get to a screen where it asks me to set a bitrate, so i never see an 'Enqueue" button. What happens is
    1)Launch FU2.6 full (not lite) edition
    2)"Create new project" is selected. Enter a name and designate a target directory
    3) hit "Next"
    4) Dialog box comes up asking me to either designate a source DVD or an ISO file - no opportunity to set any other options
    5) Designate ISO file, hit "Next"
    6) FU sets off and converts with no more dialog

There *is* an options button on the main screen, and I've looked all thru the resulting options page, but I can't find anywhere that will enable me to create several projects and batch them.

FU works great, but this lack of batching is KILLING me! Please help!

12. kcblakely

kcblakely Member

OK. IBAFOO. I figured it out.

For those in the same predicament: There's a little checkbox at the lower left of the FU opening screen that sez "Full Auto". Uncheck it, and then after selecting the ISO, you are taken to the chaining selection dialog. After selecting a chaining option, FU indexes the ISO and takes you thru the subtitles, interlacing and bitrate selections where you can enqueue.

Hope that helps....

13. gttdi

gttdi Regular member

i still do not know?

14. SmartHome

SmartHome Member

Still do not know what? Need to know what you are stuck on exactly.

15. techluver

techluver Member

hi guys, have been using this program without a glitch but just wondered if you can rip 2 subtitles off an iso. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how ?

16. shqipe

shqipe Member

Hi Guys,

First of all FU is such a good program and kinda got my head around it being a new user.

This a brilliant thread.

My question is (probably asked many times before).

For Batch Projects does FU determines the output size of each episode AUTOMATICALLY or does it give an OUTPUT of 700mb as per default?

i.e. each episode is 350mb in size. What would the converted output size be?

Thanks in advance