1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Backup DVDs into Dual Layer Media?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ssabripo, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ssabripo

ssabripo Member

Hi all,

my son just ruined my LOTR EE DVD, and thus, I need to start backing up some of my favorite movies, and my Superbit DVDs before he gets to them!! Anyway, I have been reading some of the Guides, , such as http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm but nowhere do I find an example on how to copy an entire DVD into a single media (1:1 copy, no compression in picture quality).

For example, for those of you who know about Superbit DVDs, they don't have the "extras" and all the languages and audio options. They basically have DD, DTS, and the rest is all a higher bit rate recording of the movie...

so here are my questions:

1. What kinda media do I need? will a Dual side 9GB media work? or do I need a 9GB media that is on one side only?

2. I know that DVD decrypter will probably do the job for a 1:1 copy, but I am confused on how exactly to burn it into a 2-sided 9GB DVD-R....how is my DVD player going to read it, without me having to get up in the middle of the movie, and flipping the DVD?

any help is appreciated.

I have a Dual Layer DVD burner in my computer btw.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well to be really proffesional you should probably go with the DL media (DVD9 or 8.5GB DVD) then you can copy with decrypter using ISO Read and then ISO write.

DVD Shrink will also do DL back ups without shrinking the movie just go to preferences and select your target DVD size as DVD9 - 8.5GB then just use one of the guides on here how to use Shrink from there, but it is pretty straight foward just click on full disk and back up!!

Good Luck :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

One more thing to burn your full movie without compression on 2 disk's which is what you basically would be doing with a 2 sided DVD5 disk you would need a proggy that can do this I have only used DVD Fab to do this, but I am sure there are others out there. Maybe someone else can make a suggestion?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ssabripo

ssabripo Member

Thanks. One question that still confuses me:

a DVD9 or 8.5 DL DVD is not the same thing? I thought they were....any help here is appreciated.

also, DVD players should be able to read which format easier??

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes they are the same :) I am sorry if I confused you I just tried to use all the naming conventions because evryone calls them something different DVD9, 8.5GB, and Dual Layer all the same (you say apples I say oranges) :)

Most people would say -R's are the most compatable (at least thats what all the sights say when you do a search in google for this) I use -R's because they are compatable with my 4 DVD Players, XBox, and PS2. Some players only like +R's though. If your player will play both then I guess it really dosent matter which you choose because the quality is really no difference. This sight list DVD players and what they are capable of playing http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Compatibility.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=59

[​IMG]

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The most important thing about the media is the brand.

There are countless debates on here which is the best I don't even want to get into it here, but if you do a search you will find post after post on this subject "best DVd media" There are for sure some to stay away from ;-) (Memorex) opps I said I wasen't going to get into that sorry.. LOL

[​IMG]

7. ssabripo

ssabripo Member

Great info...thanks.

Final question that still has me puzzled is this: I assume I need a true DVD9 media (9GB on a single side of the disk) I assume, correct?

I have done searches and all I see when looking at "dual layer" is says double-sided, which I assume is 4.5 on each side (NOT GOOD). am I missing something here? I thought DL media was a common thing now days...

any help pointing me to the right direction, or a good website to purchase media, would be appreciated.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

9. ssabripo

ssabripo Member

OUCH!!!! $8/disk??????? might as well buy the darn thing again...what's going on??

well, is there a way of splitting it into 2 DVD5's...I would hate to do this, but $1/disk is much more appealing than $6-8/disk!

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

ssabripo,
    You can back up your movies using Shrink and still have no compressions, but two DVD's I have a guide on my site that shows you how if you are interested.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

It is the guide called "How to make 1:1 copy of DVD using Shrink (no compression)" I went ahead and created this guide because more and more people were wanting to do this..

This should help you out, I hope :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105