1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn and load the new BIOS from Mini-DVD?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by grmbl, Apr 3, 2005.

1. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Hello afterdawn,

When I wanted too flash my ViperGC with the new BIOS...i f#cked up my flexwire (grey thingy). The naked wires lying on the blueish plastic of the wire are loose and I can't connect the cable to the programmer without shortcircuiting the cube!! I have the 1.4 already on the BIOS and I've heard of a way to flash my chip from DVD.
    So:
    -What are the settings to burn BIOS?
    -Structure of the DVD?
    -Will mini-DVD (memorex, the ones i use for backups) work?
    -Does the programmer have to be connected to the modchip or can i deattach it and play my backups???

grtz, hope to have some replies...

see my site to get a nice present(click NEO) =)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  2. cb1234

cb1234 Member

If you read the NFO file included with the release, it explains how to flash your Viper chip from DVD-R.

You have to create an ISO9660 disc with the VGC file on it, then use the Disc Explorer (last time you'll need to swap!) to browse the disc you made and select the VGC file. Don't waste a whole DVD-R for just 87kb though... backup your documents or pictures or mp3s or something as well. It's a standard ISO9660 image so you can read it on any computer.

And yes you can do this without having to connect the programmer.

3. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

thnx dude, my mistake was to put it in a folder and not
    direct in the root...
    So I've flashed my BIOS succesful! Problem is I can't direct boot...Disc starts spinning for 2 seconds, Gamecube logo changes in main menu, NO DISC! Tried the swap trick with my copy of RE4, A-disc/B-disc (also used for direct boot). It loads into RE4 main menu, when I want to load a savegame the laser jumps from inner to outerside of the disc and the screens says "Error occured..."!!!
    I recently adjusted my POT but I can't remember the value it had original. I have set it to the advised range here in afterdawn.com. I had no probs playing my copy of RE4 until I came at the point where you first meet regenerators. When I want to enter the freezer the game wants to load and I have either DRE or "Error occured..."! I tweaked my POT because I couldn't get past another loading point, after tweaking it I did but now I'm stucked again.
    Thought with the new BIOS release my problems would be over! =(

Could someone with the same Cube as mine give me the POT setting he has (working!) and give it to me so I can undo my fault before my cube gives up on me!

Writer: Lite-on DVDRW LDW-851S
    Media: Memorex Pocket DVD-R 1.4GB
    Cube: Pal Revision 1.0 (Platinum Version w. LoZ:TWW)
    Drive version date is 23/08/2002 (61)
    GC version code 18 DOL-001
    ViperGC BIOS version 1.0 =)

Any help is very much appreciated!

update-------------------------------!
    I've tested some other backups and got Starfox Assault to boot directly...Paper Mario didn't work, guess it's my laser though!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  4. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

any1?? plz help!

5. mrdj

mrdj Guest

i cant believ it. I have waste 3 mini dvd-r now for trying exacly the same abow. My port doesent work and i have the 1.4 bios already installed. So what i do is that i burn down the bios filen inc some mp3 in the root of the mini dvdr, but still when i shall "brows dvd" it says "unknow system files"...and nothing appears. U maby know what could be wrong? I burn the bios on a MDA 1.4 media disk with Nero. I have tryed a couple of gamez that works fine already so it cant be that. I would be glad for an reply on this problem i have :(

cheers/mrdj

6. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Well mrdj, open nero burning rom - pick DVD-ROM(ISO) with these settings:
    -No multisession (so it finalizes disc!)
    -ISO 9660 only
    -Max of 11 characters...(8+3)
    -ISO 9660
    -Uncheck all "relax restrictions".
    -Lable set to automatic and name it BIOS (or whatever u like).
    -Press "New"
    -Select the bios in the file explorer and drag it into the compilation window. No need to make a folder! Naked on the disc.
    It's a poor waste of mini-dvdr but it worked for me...

hope I could be of any help,

grtz Grmbl

ps: Can anyone help me out now???

7. mrdj

mrdj Guest

Very big thanks for responding to my question! I can see now that i have finalize my dvd so it maby could be that i did wrong ;) I will try it out with this settings u gave me and see if it work then, ill let u know...
    I whish i could help u out, but when i havent come this far self im not able to help u yet, maby i will be there to after i have made it work with flashing the bios hehe.

Thanks again! /mrdj

8. mrdj

mrdj Guest

It dident work for me ;( It must be my shitty burner. i will try it in 2x speed tomorrow when i bought more mini dvd`s :(
    thanks anyway for ur help! Apuricated

9. speedi

speedi Member

grmbl

I had the same problem with a mod.
    The solution was easy.

The lens was dirty, but you can't see that
    So i just blew some air in it to undust the lens unit and
    I cleaned it with a q-tip and 90% alcohol, the alcohol evaporates
    and the lens was clean now it reads everything.

The working values vor silver cubes are according to my testing between 162 and 180 Ohms. (and above but less compatibility)
    No problems here

Using Memorex, Traxdata (8cdm) DVD-R (and ocaasionaly optodiscs for compatibility purposes)

10. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

thanx for the reply!!!
    I'll try it out soon...

grtz

11. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

cleaned my lens + set POT to 175 and all games run perfect from boot and no more DRE!!! super

grtz