1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn DIVX videos to play on a Divx Compatible DVD Player?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by coolguyz, Mar 19, 2007.

1. coolguyz

coolguyz Member

Hi,

I am new one in this group so please excuse me for if my question is already repeated in the forum.

I have a bunch of AVI/DIVx video and have a DVD Player which is capable of playing Divx Videos rather than converting them first in DVD format.

My question is - There is an ocean of softwares to convert divx to dvd format but that way I will be able to watch only 1 or 2 divx video per DVD.

I want to burn multiple DIVX videos in a single DVD so which Divx authoring software to use to burn divx videos directly in divx format only and watch it on dvd player. I believe doing this will save a lot of space on DVDs.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

For me, the whole point of having a DivX-capable DVD player was to cut out all that encoding and DVD authoring. Plus 5 or 6 movies on a single layer disk. I have put 12 movies on a DL disk. It is very simple to burn DivX AVI material so you can watch it using one of these players. You just have to burn a data disk. I don't know what burning software you will use, but with Nero 7, you choose to burn a "DVD-ROM (ISO)" (it's the option at the top) from the "New compilation" dialog that comes up either when you start Nero or if you click "New..." in the File menu. Then you can drag the files into the compilation.

You can either put the AVI files straight onto the DVD root folder or you can have each one in its own folder on most players nowadays.

The player will have its own on screen menu and file navigator for you to choose a file to play.

Some players need you to finalize the disk before you can play all the files in a multisession disk.

If your player will accept rewritable disks you can play around till you get it right without wasting lots of blanks.

Good luck!

3. animalz

animalz Guest

To watch divx movies on a dvd player,first convert your divx movie to dvd using this program from this link:http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_...xtodvd_free.cfm

When you have converted it it,burn it with nero expres or NTI CD/DVD Maker.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You didn't read the question properly, animalz. Coolguyz has a DivX capable player, and wishes to know which way to burn DivX movies, for that player, WITHOUT converting them to DVD format.

5. killalot

killalot Active member

Same way I do it Nero make data cd or DVD ad files to compilation burn job done I use verbatim 24x cdrw never had any problems

6. coolguyz

coolguyz Member

Excellent ...Thanks guys for such a wonderful response..the whole process looks like a piece of cake...You guys rock !!!!

7. taozhong

taozhong Member

This is exactly what I am dealing with at this time. I have exactly the same need as coolguyz, that is, to "burn" several, at least no less than two, divx and xvid .AVI movies or files into one regular dvd to play on my DivX-playable DVD player. Simply, after reading from you guys and also from my recent personal experience, simply, there are two solutions, to my knowledge so far:

Solution 1: Use Nero or similar software to burn them on to one dvd! To me, it could be simpler because I have a USB plug-in to play function on my DVD player ;)

Solution 2: Use TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX Authoring.

Compare: Solution 1 is simpler, easier, quicker, burning more files or movies on one disk, but on screen navigation & choose to play interface might be also too simple even ugly. With Solution 2, you can create your own or templated menus like real DVDs, but burning less files or movies on to one DVD. It seems TMPGEnc will still do some converting job to extend the file size. More noticeably, the authoring process with this software is so time-consuming...

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

What do you mean "too" simple? I like things simple! I don't care if my divx player has a stupid blue screen with clouds and silly yellow Arial font menus. When I watch a movie, I spend < 1 minute looking at that, and 90 - 120 minutes looking at the movie. I burn disks to watch movies, not to show off my menu creating skills.

It is an easy choice to make. If I wanted to do that, I would not have bought a Divx capable DVD player. I bought it to avoid the extra time and cost of blank disks that the mpeg2 route involves. My player will show mpeg1, mpeg2, VOB, as well as AVI so i have many choices.

9. taozhong

taozhong Member

To Indochine

You clearly made a point there that navigation with blue screen or otherwise a menu of your choice is certainly a personal preference! To be honest, I like both due to pros and cons of both solutions.

BTW, with TMPGEnc's DivX Authoring function it seems we still have those files (DivX or Xvid in my case) on the final disc which still requires a DivX compliant player, of course. Though solution 2 is quite time-consuming, the outcome on disk is a 'real' DVD, not a data DVD (from solution 1). Cheers!

10. nerro

nerro Member

Hi guys,
    I also have a divx compatible dvd player. It's a Kiss DP-1000. It works fine and i know how to burn the files to the disc, like 6 movies on 1 dvd. In the past certain files would cause the player to freeze and not play the movies so i would Re-convert using virtualdub and XviD codec and they would then play fine on the dvd player.

The problem i have now is that i have recently re-installed winxp on my pc and when i tried to re-convert a file that didnt work the converted file did the same thing and caused the player to freeze. I tried converting a working file and after conversion the file didnt work.

any ideas what could be causing this? is it something to do with virtualdub?

Thanks for any replies.

11. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Most DivX DVD players need the files to stick to a fairly strict standard. Certain encoding settings can make them balk. Qpel is the best known of these. Some players don't like version 1.0 of the Xvid codec, and while we're on the subject, Xvid files with packed bitstream are a no-no on many Divx standalones. Interlaced mpeg4 is another one. VBR mp3 audio can freeze many players.

Can I suggest you download a well known free mpeg4 diagnostic tool called G-Spot, and get it to make a report on a problem file, and the version that works, and try to spot any differences?

Also in Virtualdub, check your compression (codec) settings for video and audio.

This review of the DP-1000 mentions some of this-

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Print.aspx?ArticleId=9367

There is a very busy Kiss DP-1000 forum here

http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=60

Lots of reports of Xvid not working well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  12. nerro

nerro Member

Thanks Indochine

I checked the kiss forum and there was a post with the same issue. Somebody suggested using MPEG4 Modifier to unpack the bitsream and that seemed to have done the trick. saves loads of time too, now i dont have to convert the whole file which takes about 50 mins or so.

13. taozhong

taozhong Member

Guys, may I suggest here that there is another diagnostic tool called AVICodec which can also help check and provide the basic information of the video and auido files packed in the containers.

To Indochine: I already gave up my second way to authorize files into the disc (by TMPGEnc). Obviously burning files directly into the disc to play is the most convenient, econmical and efficient solution! Cheers!

14. cimike

cimike Member

hi everybody,
    i have a bad quality of all downloads.
    i used to have red/green lines all over the download or some white spots as i played them with a bs player. i've installed K-Lite Codec Pack . i don't have any red/green lines, but the picture is kind of blury and not really clear. how can i improve this?

on some downloads the picture is still bad (blury) and i have the right codec according to gspot. (it says: codec is installed).

the pic seems so be different every time i use another player. with bs-player was okay (white spots, but clean pic) and now with K lite codec pack it's blury.
    and when i burn it on a dvd the pics remains the same as it was on the pc (white spots or blury). what shuold i do? how can i get rid of this problem?

15. Sapphrina

Sapphrina Member

Hi All,
    I think that my problem is similar, but not. I too have a dvd player that plays divx/xvid. I have several shows that I dl and then burned and certain episodes will not play. So I checked the properties and found that some were converted into DVGigaAVICodec and some were streamed and show video2, and some show angelpotion, whatever that is...anyway, my question is, what converter can I use to fix them so that they will play? I have used total video converter and it hasn't helped, I am at a loss...please help.
    Thanks,
    Sapph

16. taozhong

taozhong Member

I personally don't do much converting recently. But if I do, I probably will try Ultra video converter or TMPGENc XPress. Good luck!

17. eap0015

eap0015 Guest

Hello everybody! I am having a problem along those same lines. I have a Lite-On Dual Layer DVDR+RW that plays mpeg4, and divx video files as well. I am trying to get burn movies to watch on it but I do not have a dvd-rw, I just have a dvd rom. Is it possible to burn divx and mpeg4 video files onto a cd-r as a data disc and play them in the divx mpeg4 dvd player? I also wanted to ask how can I connect my computer into the dvd-rw player so I can burn movies in dvd format so that any dvd player can read them. Does a cord exist that can do that? I would guess a USB cord with a dv link on other end. What is the cord that teachers in school always used to get what was on their computer on to a tv. I know they would use a projector sometimes. Thanks for taking the time to read this and help out a rookie in the field. -ANDY P

18. makav

makav Member

wow, lots of ways...I put 6 movies on each dvd, but I use teh divx player to burn my dvds, no need for any extra things, u just put the movies in your library, put in a dvd-r/w and on the right, the dvd shows up, and u drag the movies onto there, within 5 mins, its done :D

19. bobby2006

bobby2006 Guest

makav;

thnkxx bro i think yours is the easiest way ever to burn divx videos to a dvd.

thankz again.

20. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Hate to bring an old thread back to life but here we are... And of course in googing the situation, just got dvd player to play divx/avi, my favorite forum came up.

Question 1: I got lost in the thread. So if im not lost all i need to do is burn a data disk with the files?

Question 2: What all burners are the best and of courst freeware?

Many thanks in advance,

MPenney