1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to burn SimCity4 (SafeDisc2.8)??? (Big-time newbie)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mcclenj, Mar 26, 2003.

1. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Okay, I've been through the different threads about burning protected cds, etc. I've followed the steps for using DiscJuggler, got through the creating an image part fine, but when I tried to burn the image, I'd get a program error and the program would shut down. Sooo, I saw someone say they burned SC4 with Alcohol. I followed the steps from the thread and successfully created the image/burned it onto a CD, but when I try to run things from the CD, like the autorun.exe or setup.exe, etc., it doesn't work. The computer acts busy, but eventually I get some kinda error and it doesn't work. My writer is an LG -CED 8080B. The CD icon and contents are identical to the original, but nothin works, so if anyone can help, I'm totally confused

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

If tou read the many threads about protected Cds and Safedisc 2.8+ you should know that backup is strongly hardware dependent.

According to Elby's classification
    http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/writers/h.html#hitachi
    your burner is classified as "less than 1-sheep burner" and uncapable to write RAW-DAO (but able to write RAW-SAO instead).

Therefore:
    - probably Diskjuggler crashed because you selected RAW-DAO writing mode. If you did not delete your DJ image, you might try to burn it RAW-SAO instead.

- even if you manage to burn properly, since your burner is not capable to burn weak sectors without emulation (being 1-sheep) probably you need some type of emulation (Alcohol Datatype=Safedisc2 should have worked, though. Maybe you have to select Datatype=Safedisc2 and modifying that option choosing RAW-SAO mode?)

What I would try first, since your hardware is not very good, is to try installing the game running Alcohol on the system tray (with Safedisc emulation enabled).

[​IMG]

Do this test and report here the results...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I recently put an LG GCE 8240B (1 sheep) burner to the test attempting to backup Safedisc 2.8.x (The Sims Unleashed).

Paddus DiscJuggler 4.x with emulation= failure
    BlindWrite 4.25 (enhance weak sectors/write)with emulation(Hide cd-r/CloneCD= success!
    Alcohol 120% with emulation= failure
    CloneCD (amplify weak sectors/write), "hide cd-r" running in system tray= success!
    There is a "trick" to get the "hide cd-r" enabled. I recommend we offer a "CloneCD Hide CD-R" patch to download. The file is very small in size and will help the nOObs.

CloneCD profile I used to backup The Sims Unleashed (Safedisc 2.8.x)
    [CloneCD ReadPrefs]
    ReadSubData=0
    RegenerateData=0
    ReadSubAudio=0
    AbortOnReadError=0
    FastErrorSkip=1
    ReadSpeedData=0
    ReadSpeedAudio=0
    IntelligentBadSectorScan=0
    SectorSkip=100
    NoErrorReport=0
    FirstSessionOnly=0
    AudioQuality=0
    [CloneCD WritePrefs]
    DontRepairSubchannelData=0
    AlwaysCloseLastSession=1
    AmplifyWeak=1
    WriteSpeed=0
    1= checked
    Hide cd-r enabled and backup played in LG GCE 8240B, game installs and plays like a charm!
    Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2003
  4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

So the settings resemble the well known 'emulate weak sectors' option which is needed to bypass the "1-sheep" limitation with 'system tray emulation' needed because you do not have a 1-1 copy.

But then, why should Alcohol Datatype=Safedisc2 (=Bypass EFM error) + Safedisc SD Emulation (+'ignore media type') on system tray fail? Do you have an idea, Shoey?

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

aldaco12,
    When I chose Safedisc 2 (datatype) in the write process with Bypass EFM error selected, green beer dialog box popped up and said error, your writer does'nt support this format (RAW DAO). I tried EVERY format and got the same error. I find green beer very buggy because I had NO problems using CloneCD burning RAO DAO mode. I find CloneCD to be the most effective for those who have "1 sheep" burners. Please keep in mind that a "1 sheep" burner MUST be able to read ATIP, or backup will most likely fail backing up Safedisc 2.8.x. Alcohol 120% works great for my Polaroid BurnMAX drive (2 sheep burner). I was also successful using CloneCD and in the write process, I ticked emulate. Again, the backup burned with my LG GCE 8240B played like a charm with "hide cd-r" enabled.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2003
  6. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Thanks, people. I'm gonna again download CloneCD and follow the steps. I'll try this hide cd-r business, but what are the steps in case I have trouble?

Josh

7. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Okay, downloaded CloneCD and I'm currently reading the image or whatever, but I couldn't find any menu to change the read preferences to what you said Shoey, and I surely don't know how to turn hide-cr on. Help?

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Go herehttp://clone.cd/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51
    and download CloneCD 4x region killer. Follow the instructions carefully. Now use these CloneCD prefs for read/write image(s).

[CloneCD ReadPrefs]
    ReadSubData=0
    RegenerateData=0
    ReadSubAudio=0
    AbortOnReadError=0
    FastErrorSkip=1
    ReadSpeedData=0
    ReadSpeedAudio=0
    IntelligentBadSectorScan=0
    SectorSkip=100
    NoErrorReport=0
    FirstSessionOnly=0
    AudioQuality=0
    [CloneCD WritePrefs]
    DontRepairSubchannelData=0
    AlwaysCloseLastSession=1
    AmplifyWeak=1
    WriteSpeed=0
    1= Check

Shoey

9. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Okay, now, I burned a copy with CloneCD like Shoey said, and I found the little Hide CD-R thing in the system tray, but I can't get it to turn on, it's sitting there gray and I can't select it. What's up with that?

Josh

10. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Okay, I read Hitman's thing about havin the US type of CloneCD, so I'm doing the region kill thing right now, then I be tryin.

Josh

11. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Okay, followed all the steps with CloneCD and turned Hide CDR on, but nothin, so I quit forever.

:(

12. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Both discs of SimCity4 are Safedisc 2.80 protected.
    Safedisc 2.8+ is strongly hardware dependent, sometimes CloneCD works well, sometimes not. I would give Alcohol (+emulation) a chance. Don't give up! (and try again with a couple of CD-RW...)

A little extract from http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699:

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

mcclenj,
    Did you amplify weak sectors in the write process?
    Did you enable "hide cd-r" and play your backup in your burner?
    Backup should play...

Shoey

14. mcclenj

mcclenj Member

Yessir, under weak sectors i put amplify, though emulate was another option (maybe do that?), and i had Hide CDR on, with the cd in the writer, and so forth. No workey. It's okay, I'm already starting to get tired of SC4, so whatever, heh.

Josh