1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to completely uninstall an appliction...even from registry

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Jammerule, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Jammerule

Jammerule Member

Hello users,

Please ignore and redirect if this question is not to be posted here. Here it comes...

I have a registered version of a software that expired recently. I wanted to try their new upgraded trial version, but for some reason the previous version's settings and components stayed intact on my computer. I ran the application's uninstall and also uninstalled it from "Add or Remove Programs" section, but the moment I run the new upgraded version, it loads up with the older version's settings like (the save directory and "Expired" registration code etc). Is there any way I could "completely" remove it from the computer. Not even a trace of it. I think the normal "uninstall" will not completely take care of the computer registry entry! Please help me.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

This involves using the REGEDIT function --

First of all by all means make a backup copy of your REGISTRY !

Then start REGEDIT and in the search function type the name of the application you want to remove -- use the "Find next" to delete all traces of that particular application.

For example, Nero would show up in a lot of keys -- also Ahead ((the main name of the company that makes Nero )) -- would also show up !Do a search and a "Find next" on that too . So depending how thorough you are , it is possible to remove all trace of an application if you know the name and all its tie-ins of the application.

Good Luck

Note:- if you make a mistake, use your backup to get your Registry up again the way it was when you started.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2005
  3. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

go download ccleaner and run it . that should do the trick

4. Jammerule

Jammerule Member

tbiggs

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried your way but I downloaded another application - "Absolute Uninstaller" & unfortunately, it did not remove everything from the registry. Although, I did not download CCleaner which I should have also tried before I went and tried Jeanc1's idea. But thanks anyway!

Jeanc1,

Thanks for the suggestion, I did your way and I think it did the trick but it was kind of "Trial and Error" cuz you really dont know by what names an application registers itself. For me, luckily I searched by the application name and also by the registartion code for that aplication. Also, I would like to know how to back up the registry entries.

Thanks a bunch again to both you guys for the time you took to answer. AfterDawn rocks!!!! Good luck and Happy New Year to both o' you.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Have a great New Year -- The registry can be backed up easily by going -- Start -- Run -- Typing REgedit -- Clicking Ok - then Clicking FILE -->EXPORT -- ticking ALL at the bottom left and sending the file after you've named it to your Desktop !

6. Jammerule

Jammerule Member

Done!! Thanks Jeanc1!!