1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Connect External DVD Writer to a TV?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by F43, Jan 22, 2005.

1. F43

F43 Member

Hello Again:

Was curious if it is possible (even advisable) to connect a DVD writer to a TV set for playback?

Naturally, my TV set does NOT have a USB connection ;) Just wondering if anyone has done this? My logic is IF my standalone player will not play my backups I can always use the 'external' unit as my player; even though I realize this must seem like a lot of 'wear and tear' when my standalone unit (an Akai DVM-9500) should be able to do the job?

Thanks, F43 :)

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm afraid this is immpossible to do (to much to explain) You could run an audio video cable from your PC to the TV though (assuming you have video outs on your video card, most do now a days) Or you just buy a cheap DVD player from WalMart for $40 and it will play everything you throw in it. :)

3. F43

F43 Member

Hello Again :)

Thanks for the insights! WOW, sounds like quite a leap to hook the computer or external to the TV...guess if I have problems with by backups, will run off to the WM for a bare-bones player! I originally bought my Akai Changer since it allows for manual region selection which I couldn't find on many other units. I have since found that some of my playback problems on (supposed?) factory produced disks are NOT because of regions other than 0/1, but because the disks themselves might be + R/RW? Who would have known? These troublesome disks plays great on a 5 year old computer's DVD player when set to region 5! Any thoughts on this? Would be nice if they would play in my Akai? :( Hope I haven't gotten too off target?

Thanks again, F43

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It really isnt that hard hooking your PC to your TV as long as your video card has TV outs. It would be a lot easier than doing as you had suggested hooking up your DVD ROM to your TV (if that could even be done which I highly doubt)

Your Akai stand alone should say in the user manual which type of disk's it supports. Could be it only supports -R DVD? Check the manual or check the Akai website. Where are you located? I just checked Akai web site for that model and it dosen't list it anywhere?

5. F43

F43 Member

Hello BBmayo:

Thanks for addressing my problems with the 'Region 5' disks I have...btw, I am the US.

The troublesome disks were purchased at eBay about 1 year ago. They were advertised as factory-produced disks for the Asian market. Looked real to me but have given me trouble in EVERY 'standalone' unit I have tried them in (about 3 different so far, Cyberhome, ?, Akai, and my current computer's DVD player GCC4480-B). I thought ALL along the problem related to my standalone units inability to offer manual region selection...my primary reason for purchasing the Akai DVM-9500 which was also purchased online at eBay, BTW, it's been a wonderful machine so far on everything but the said disks. Back to the disks, they often stutter/freeze at random and with the Akai, most won't even start to begin with, they simply produce 'disk error' when the machine tries to read them. I asked the machine's vendor about this and he seemed insistent that they don't work because one of the following: 1) They are VCD's which I know cannot be the case since they are marked 'DVD' near the disk-makers' imprint. 2) They are DVD+R, may be? But this confuses me since the Akai owners' manual says it might not be able to play -R disks, maybe they are in fact -R disks? Is there ANY way to get 'hidden' info about the disks and media type, recording method etc?

At this point I have almost given up on ever being able to enjoy these on anything other than my 'old' computer. Like stated earlier, haven't yet bought my writer (will buy in next day or so) and when I do buy blank media for backups, want to get something that will play in the Akai and perhaps other players including the $40 Cyberhome/Durabrand, etc. you see at WM.

Thanks again for ANY help you can give in figuring why these disks won't play successfully in anything but an the old computer!

Regards, F43

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try installing AnyDVD on your computer and then run AnyDVD. With AnyDVD running see if those disks will play then. If they do it is simply a region code issue. You could just try ripping them with Decrypter stripping the region code off and then back them up to another DVD and then they should play in anything.

7. F43

F43 Member

Great advice and yet another reason (make that 20 reasons, that's how many of these disks are trouble) for buying my new writer! And yes, will go and do the download you mentioned; been a member for only 1 hour and already have already improved the learning curve...this place is amazing! Thanks BBMayo :)