1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Connect your PC to your XBOX (3 Ways)

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 18, 2005.

1. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

In order to connect to your Xbox you must create a simple network connection between your computer and your Xbox. There are three easy ways to do this. You can use a hub/switch, a router, or a crossover cable. This tutorial will show you how to configure the hardware. Remember though, You will not actually be able to login to your xbox until you have installed and configured the EvolutionX dashboard.

[bold]Xbox Network Connection using Hub[/bold]

This is the most common network configuration and is also the easiest to setup.
    Step #1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your cable/DSL modem into the uplink port of your hub. (Make sure that your uplink is switched to "on").
    Step #2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from one of the ports of the hub, directly to the Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer.
    Step #3: Take another RJ-45 cable and run it from a different port of your hub directly to your xbox.
    **NOTE** A switch may be used in place of a hub with the same basic setup.**

That's it! No other network changes should be needed for this configuration. Your Xbox is now on the same network as your PC.

[bold]Xbox Network Connection using Router[/bold]

This is another common network configuration.
    Step #1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your modem into the WAN port of your router.
    Step #2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from one of the ports of the router, directly to the Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer.
    Step #3: Take another RJ-45 cable and run it from a different port of your router directly to your xbox.

**NOTE** In steps #2 and #3, you should not use a port that is directly beside the "uplink" port on your router, if your uplink port is being used to connect to another routing device.** If your router has a built in firewall, you will need to forward ports 8602 both incoming and outgoing to the internal ip address of your pc. Consult your device manaul for port forwarding.

That's it! Your Xbox is now on the same network as your PC

[bold]Xbox Network Connection using Crossover Cable[/bold]

This is the last network configuration. For this setup you need at least one NIC card.
    Step #1: Plug your USB cable that comes from your modem into your PC's USB port. This should already be done, if you have a usb modem for your current internet connection.
    Step #2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from an installed NIC card on your PC, directly to the Xbox.

**NOTE** A crossover cable is only needed if you are connecting the Xbox directly to the second NIC card. If you have a device such as a switch, hub or router in between you should use a standard RJ-45 cable. This type of network setup also requires "Winroute©", a program downloadable from the world wide web. Consult the manual for specific instructions on how to set this up. Also if you have a USB ethernet adapter, you may use any of the setups described herein. USB ethernet adapter basically converts a USB cable into an RJ-45 cable.

That's it! Your Xbox is now on the same network as your PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  2. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Thank you for the tutorial. I know absolutely nothing about modding or FTP and you really assisted me deeply. I appreciate it.

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

No problem, glad it could help...now you're just another tool for other people to use on AfterDawn when they need help.

;)

4. saved12

saved12 Guest

hey tEChniiQue by any chance do you know how to force host in halo 2??

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

No I don't, I'm sorry...but I know someone that may be able to help you...PM me. ; )