1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert mpg to avi/VOB: best/quickest software?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by denis2, Jan 13, 2005.

1. denis2

denis2 Member

Hi

I have a movie that was a bin file. I extracted the mpg using Isobuster and now want to create VOB files for dvd burning. I downloaded a trial version of Avi to Meg Converter but the avi file created contains the message "unregistered" in the top lefthand of the screen.

I then tried using TMPGEnc 3.0 Xpress but after only 15mins the resulting file was already over 5GB!! (The movie is only 1.5GB as an mpg).

What is the best and easiest way to convert the mpgs to avi or VOB? (Also, the movie is in 2 parts so I need to join the files).

Cheers

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you don't need to reencode the file if its already in mpeg to make dvd. ou need to put the mpeg into vob

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Joining is easy, use TMPGenc -- MPEG Tools, Merge & Cut.

The problem is that garmage in = garbage out. Why a DVD? If you wand a DVD absoulutely, use http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm (avoid the codec part) or any guide you like in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm .

The problam is that a VOB maker is trying to extrapolate from a 353x240(288) movie a 740x480(576) movie! Tharefore it's not surprising that 1.5 GB --> 4.5 GB. But the quality won't be better than the original VCD (or SVCD=480x480(576)) movie.

If the input movie were an AVI the results would be even worse, because you should even pay the 'price' of the big compression (1.5 GB mpeg --> 0.7 GB avi).
    Therefore I'm strong oppositor of AVI --> DVD or mpeg --> DVD. Even DVD --> VCD makes much more better results than AVI --> DVD!!!