1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convert Pal DVD to NTSC DVD

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by jj1956, Nov 29, 2004.

1. jj1956

jj1956 Member

I'm using DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink to back dvd movies.

I have few Pal dvd's that I wand to convert to NTSC and back them up. Is there a way to do so by using the above software and how.

thanks

2. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Use either Shrink or Decrypter to rip the dvd to the harddrive. Both programs designate the folder name for you. Once the ripping is done, you will have 2 folders, 1 for audio and one for video. The audio is usually empty. The video (vts) folder should have a bunch of vob files in it. For some reason, this folder doesn't always display unless you keep the disc you are ripping in the drive.

Next open up Nerovision Express and choose Make Dvd, which is the first choice. Again turn on your dvd burner or this choice is not available (Strange). Choose "add files" and search for the video vts folder where your files are. I normally select them all at once and import them. Nerovision then encodes each one- rather tedious. If Nerovision crashes after you do this then you have the "affliction" I had to find my own cure.

After this process is completed, you have the opportunity to throw out unwanted files/footage. Keep in mind that Nerovision does not support menus and subtitles from the original-main movie only. Go through the steps until you are asked whether you want to convert to Pal or Ntsc. Afterwards choose to burn to harddrive or disc.

Be forewarned that not all versions of Nero Vision Express will work and don't be surprised if after 3 hours of transcoding the damn thing hangs up-been there done that. In other words-you're on your own to get the thing to run right-I figured out the right combo-so can you.

Cheers

3. jj1956

jj1956 Member

thanks. I'll give it a try

4. jj1956

jj1956 Member

I followed the direction. All went well up to the point of importing the files from the video vts folder. First, I selected all flies to import them with NeroVision it crashed. Then I tried importing each one separately, I succeeded with some but other crashed the whole process. I am stuck. Please I need help.

Thanks

5. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Are you using a Nero demo version?

The only thing I can suggest is when you rip the dvd, make sure you leave off menus and subtitle streams. Nerovision does not accept these files. I've had that problem also. When you look at the files in your vts folder, double click on each one to see what they are. On my system they will play through the Nero player. Then you'll know what to get rid of.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have enough memory. Doing this takes up alot of room.

When I updated Nero to the latest version, Nerovision express would crash everytime I tried to import files.

If this is what's happening-you'll have to experiment.
    Maybe uninstall and reinstall an older version will help. Some versions work better than others. On the Nero site there are "clean" tools as well. I used one of these to clean my registry. Supposedly some of the older drivers were bad. As I originally said, its a crap shoot.

6. kdg

kdg Member

Hello,
    I had the same problem with NeroVision Express.
    The way around is to burn the NTSC copy to an image file and then burn the image using Nero. if you get an error when burning the image to disk try to use another programme like Magic ISO to burn the nero image file.

Good Luck!!!

7. jj1956

jj1956 Member

A friend suggested me to try use Quick time pro for converting from Pal to NTSC. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it possible & how can I do it?

Thanks