1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Convert Pal to Ntsc?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by chobo2, Jan 19, 2005.

1. chobo2

chobo2 Member

I got some files what are in Pal so how do I convert it to Ntsc?

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Firstly you search the forum for "PAL to NTSC"...

Adder.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

You'll find the answer if you search, but the quick version is "NeroVision Express." When authoring or creating a movie with "NeroVision Express," if it sees that the content is formated for PAL, it will offer to format it to NTSC.

4. EightPaws

EightPaws Member

I have transcoded movies using Nero Vision Express with a P4 3.2 1G Ram and hyperthreading. It can take 4-12 hours to transcode a 90 minute movie depending on your hardware. Mine took a little over 4 hours to transcode.

5. 448191

448191 Guest

I'd never recommend using NeroVision. I've used it and the quality is dissapointing. If you want to create DVD's that look as good as the original, use CCE SP. After which you can use a dvd authoring app like Adobe Encore. If your source has the wrong framerate, use Avisynth to correct this, at no quality loss at all.

It takes some time to learn all of this, but I assure you it's worth while.

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Is this knock against NVE against it generally, or just the PAL to NTSC conversion? I've only used this feature a couple of times, and the results were acceptable to me.

As for cce sp, I would hope that a $2,000 peice of software can do something better than something that costs less than $100 (and in my case was free, as it came bundled with my dvd recorder). Yes, I know there is a free trial version, but I'm put off by the idea of it inserting a logo in the output.

Anyway, I'm not the first around here to recommend NVE for this.

7. 448191

448191 Guest

I wouldn't recommend it for anything. Does it produce acceptable quality? To some it does, to some it doesn't. Fact is CCE does a better job encoding the video. A lot better. So much better I can't recommend anything else.

And the price? I suppose you own the originals of your dvd copies? Never downed a pirated byte in your life, right?

As for the standards conversion: My guess is NVE does what you would do in Avisynth to convert the framerate; slow the video down. A real framerate conversion, such as Procoder does, would require dropping or duping fields. This messes with playback, and I don't recommend it. I don't think that is why you should use Avisynth, because, like I said, NVE probably does the same thing. A second thing that needs to be done to convert standards is resizing, and IMHO that's where Avisynth beats NVE. You can add tiny black borders that will not/hardly show thanks to overscan if you're concerned with maintaining the (almost) exact aspect ratio. Use FitCD. If this were the only reason to use a CCE-Avisynth combo, I'd be using NVE too. It's not.

Yes, it's more work, but it pays off.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  8. nadav

nadav Member

r one of thous app is working on ps2-games? i bought a ps2 in the states and broght it with me to israel(pal system). now all the games here r pal!!! what can i do?