1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Convert Purchased Google Video (gvi) to avi or something WMP can read...?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by lfzhang, Mar 30, 2006.

1. lfzhang

lfzhang Member

Hi all,

I recently joined afterdawn because I've been searching on the net for days on information that can help me convert .gvi to .avi. The problem is, everything says to use virtualdub or all these other programs and each one does not work. I am trying to convert purchased .gvi (from the video google store) and these speed up in my virtualdub. When i change the extension to .divx, divx player can verify that it's 2 hours long but plays it with whta looks like green static. If it helps, the file is an NBA game from the google store.

If anyone can help mne convert the .gvi to a .avi, i'd greatly appreciate it. I am completely out of luck.

2. geaf

geaf Member

I have been trying to work this out for the last day or so too. I HAVE found out how to do it and the resulting files are as good a quality as the google files.
    It is very simple.
    Get a program called FRAPS.
    then maximise the google player program window whilst FRAPS is running (read all the info on the fraps website for instructions on how to use it, basically you just hit F9 when your video is playing and it records it to a different type of format.)
    So, press the F9 key, FRAPS records the video for you to an avi file but it uses a FRAPS codec.
    No problem here just open up virtualDub or virtualDub Mod and open up the avi file it made.
    NOTE: Fraps makes HUGE HUGE sized files so you better have a good PC and a bit of space! I made a fraps file out of a 3.5 minute music video and the resulting avi was 1.2Gb!
    Load it into Vdub and then change the compression encoder to what you prefer. xviD gives a good result I find but it's up to you.
    thats it really.
    Oh, if you want the resulting DivX or XviD file to be even smaller then its worth noting that FRAPS saves the audio as WAV which is uncompressed...and large. so in Vdub, save the movie you made, the divx one, with no sound. then open the one with sound and go to save WAV.
    Then get the wav file from your movie and use DBpowerAMP to convert that wav into MP3.
    Then open thesilent movie file you made and then ADD STREAM in Vdub. add the mp3 and there you have it. A nice small file from a googlevideo file!

3. lfzhang

lfzhang Member

thanks for the response, does the sound record on it's own or does it require a mic?

4. lfzhang

lfzhang Member

i just tried it and there is a 30 second limitation with the screen stamped with "fraps"... I would purchase the product but the sound isn't right and the file sizes are too big. any other ideas?

5. geaf

geaf Member

Fraps also has the option to record sound too which it stores as a huge uncompressed WAV file.
    good luck! I just coverted a load of music videos from there...brilliant stuff!

6. geaf

geaf Member

Erm...I am limited in what i can say to you on this..just one word:
    Bit torrent
    Oops, that was two!

7. lfzhang

lfzhang Member

thank you =]

8. geaf

geaf Member

sussed the process out now then? If you visit my blog you can see the result in a jimi hendrix music video i found on google. the result is great.
    :)

9. lfzhang

lfzhang Member

well it works for any other program, but apparently it wont record from the video google player... maybe because my files are purchased/copy-protected?

10. citizen11

citizen11 Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  11. cooldim

cooldim Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2008
  12. kapsula

kapsula Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  13. geaf

geaf Member

There are FREE conversion programs out there. Don't bother with the two apps mentioned. Just do a google search for SMART encoder. It is brilliant and can convert between almost ALL formats, audio and video andss flash files and google video files.
    Also look out for media encoder which is pretty much the same!

14. AntiPrice

AntiPrice Member

Forget about commercial gvi to avi converters! All Bulls..t!

Naevius^^ and GVideoFix v2.0 are big programs for such a small task like removing the header information from the AVI files (more precisely a list of type “goog”). Naevius with 37.6 Mb and 20$ isn´t even worth thinking about, GVideoFix 2 - ok, 4.19MB and donation-ware.

A very nice and small tool converts it for free. Daelin´s free GVI2AVI http://www.kultiras.net/programs/Gvi2Avi.zip does the job perfect. Just 96 KByte and voila. .NET Framework (2.x) necessary.

15. geaf

geaf Member

HAHA what a funny thing you just said... 96Kb only, then you added on the fact that dot net framework is required.
    Thats no problem for us that have great PCs and XP whatever but there's millions of users with older OS and they don't wanna download .NET framework.
    I swear, the two programs I mentioned are the best you can find! they are freeware and one is open source. they convert EVERY format you can think of!!!
    Not just google video to avi!
    What if you wanna put a google video onto a dvd disc? Are you saying you then need another conversion program to make the resulting AVI into a file a DVD app will accept...ie-MPEG-2.
    Save messing about, use SUPER (why I called it 'SMART' in earlier posts I don't know!) or mediacoder!
    Links to both for all...
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MediaCoder.htm
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Enjoy.
    I just LOVe that SUPER program!!

16. corten

corten Member

Hi there geaf,

Very interesting, this Fraps stuff. I am looking for a way to record on a dvd some divx-drm files I bought (not for any illegal purposes, but just so that I can watch what I have bought on my regular DVD equipment). When I get the full version of Fraps, I should be able to record some 15 minutes of video into a 5 GB avi file. The drm already being taken care of, I then would have to compress the avi (with virtualdub?) into something I can record on a regular dvd with Nero. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

17. geaf

geaf Member

Well mate, I would instantly assume, like yourself, that it really is that simple!
    Have fun. Will you do me a favour as I don't get to come here very often these days so only when I get a notification that this thread has been added to...will you post back in this thread about it. I am interested!

18. corten

corten Member

In view of slow-motion problems with Fraps (I got this info in another forum), I will refrain from buying it. I took an LCD screen and simply filmed the sequences, which are of an inferior quality anyway. Good enough, no problems with slow-motion or frame-by-frame viewing!