1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to convert softmod to chip modded xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by losgringo, Apr 3, 2007.

1. losgringo

losgringo Member

i just bought a xbox off ebay. Turns out it is softmodded. I want to chip mod it. I planed on getting a larger hd anyway. What is the best way to change the softmod to a true modded unit. (obviously i need a chip)

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, if you are good with electronics and a soldering iron you could try installing one. The softmod will really not come into play.
    If not and if your in the USA go to Teammodders.com as they can install one for you, and also sell the chips.
    It is way easier to swap out the hard drive on a system with a chip.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/how-to-install-a-new-hdd-and-format-it-using-slayers-2-6-t672.html but Slayer 2.7 is the newest version

but if you have the time and patients you can also do it with a softmodded system.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/using-xboxhdm-to-build-an-xbox-hard-drive-t87.html

3. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

There are solderless chips. They are a bit more money. You need to know what version you have before you buy. It might also help to know what you want out of the xbox. If all you want to do is add a bigger hd, you don't need a chip to do that. Just save some cash if you can.

4. alinares

alinares Regular member

well.... hmmm well you can bassicaly do the main things that a chip can do like play backups,put mp3s,homebrew,ect.,ect....if you want to put a chip go for it.Its a little better you can swap hdd without having a hassle,play xbox live, and many more things.I don't feel like explaining everything.so just look it up many xbox users sometimes prefer softmodding.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

A hard mod is always preferable to a softmod, regardless of what anybody says.

1. Your onboard bios can become corrupted by config magic... result, buy a chip because it will never boot.

2 Your HDD can die. Result.. unless you have backed up your eeprom.bin file to your pc (how many softmodders ever bother to do this?) it is a long and complicated process involving building an eeprom reader and making a new drive from scratch.. easier to buy a chip.

3. Dash files can become corrupted.. sometimes simple, sometimes a pain in the a$$.. whatever, not a nice experience.

4. You can do something stupid like deleting the wrong file, or even a whole drive by mistake. Again potentially a buy a chip or do a lot of messing about situation.

So in the long run.. a chip is always a better option to a softmod, for many many reasons.

6. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I have 6 xbox c drives and eeproms backed up on my pc, if you softmod and don't backup you're asking for a world of hurt. Simply put, if you know what your doing and are capable of reading readme's, a softmod is really easy and won't get screwed up. Any problem I have encountered was easy to fix without the worry of solder getting all over my board or connections becoming loose. I think it's a matter of preference.