1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to convert xvid/divx to ANAMORPHIC DVD-R ?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by lapino, Apr 7, 2004.

1. lapino

lapino Member

Is there a good guide out there that explains this? I want to convert some XVID/DIVXs that I have to DVD-R (using TmpgEnc) but I would REALLY like to encode these in Anamorphic format. (PAL)

2. carefree

carefree Member

3. lapino

lapino Member

The guide does NOT explain *HOW* to do anamorphic conversion.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  4. carefree

carefree Member

what format are you wanting to change to pal from

5. lapino

lapino Member

The xvid I need to convert is a NTSC 23,9fps format. The movie itself is widescreen with black bars at bottom and top (which I want to keep, I don't want to convert it to letterboxed format)

I don't think it's really necessary to convert it to PAL (because my DVD player can play both formats), I just mentioned it because I live in Belgium/Europe.

So what I need is an explanation with TmpgEnc settings how to convert this xvid NTSC 23,9fps movie to Anamarphic Widescreen MPEG2. thx in advance for any help you guys can provide!

6. carefree

carefree Member

if you want to keep the widescreen go to settings bottom right hand corner setting=advanced then change video arrange method to full screen(keep aspect ratio)

for your encoding to pal have you tried load next to settings and you can choose what you want to encode to dvd pal ,dvd ntsc

7. lapino

lapino Member

so what I need to is select 16:9 PAL in the wizard and then make sure 'full screen' is selected?

8. carefree

carefree Member

make sure 'full screen(keep aspect ratio)' is selected

you dont have to use the wizard i you want just load the file in main page then select dvdpal from 'load',
    then setting 'full screen keep aspect ratio' for video arrange method

sorry lapino, this wont help for your Anamarphic conversion this is just a normal conv ,hopefully someoneelse can help you on the Anamarphic conv

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  9. blenky

blenky Guest

Can anyone help on this?

I would also like to convert a Xvid movie that has an aspect ratio of 2.11:1 into an anamorphic DVD to play on a widescreen TV.

I've played around with the settings in TMPGEnc but the best I can do is a 4:3 letterboxeed version.

Thanks

10. blenky

blenky Guest

Bump!

Anyone?

11. abesaff

abesaff Member

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to do the same thing. If someone else doesn't answer your post beforehand - I Will let you know when I'm finished (could take a few days!)

FYI - I'm trialling using the faster processing option in TMPGEnc to speed-up the file generation. A bit hit-and-miss and slow though...

12. blenky

blenky Guest

What I've done is select 16x9 on the first page of the wizard in TMPGEnc and on page three of the wizard I selected 'Other Settings' and under the 'Advanced' tab set the 'Video arrange Method' to 'Full Screen (keep aspect ratio)'

This creates a vertically stretched version of the movie that when played back on a Widescreen TV atomatically adjusts to a Widescreen picture.

OK I suppose this is not strictly an anamorphic picture but at least it means I can watch the film correctly on a WS TV!

13. Noel

Noel Guest

What I would really like is a divx xvid to DVD conversion that uses completly freeware tools rather than TMPGEnc as that runs out after 30 days. I have looked all over the place but cannot find a method. Any ideas?

14. abesaff

abesaff Member

Yep,

That's pretty much what I've been playing around with - various combinations of Source aspect ratio & Video Arrange Method. I suppose it depends on the aspect ratio of your source DIVX/XVID file. (In my case AVICodec tells me it's 2.5:1 - but TMPGEnc only provides for a max of 2.11.)

Splitting the file into a smaller portion for testing using VirtualDuv will also save time when using trial-and-error. This guide helps: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/cut_avi_with_virtualdub.cfm