1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cut out a section of video from a DVD movie?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Powa, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Powa

Powa Regular member

Hi everyone,

I've just backed up a DVD of mine using DVD Decrypter to get the files on my drive, then DVD Shrink to shrink it down to size. I now have an ISO file with just the movie and the original ripped files from the DVD.

Anyway I want to cut out a section of the movie and then save it as an ISO again so it can be burned to DVD. The section I want to cut out is in the middle of the movie, so its not as simple as chopping off the credits with DVD Shrink.

I remember being able to do editing with VirtualDub back when I was encoding to DivX, but is there anything similiar that can do it with DVD files?

Just the name of the program and a brief rundown on how to do it would be sufficient. Thanks :)

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Rip the mpeg from your dvd.
    Cut the part you want using Cuttermaran, Womble, tmpgenc mpeg editor, or similar.
    Reauthor, burn.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well actually it is as simple as cutting off the credits in dvd shrink.Just use the start end frame feature, and the chapter selector...find the part you want and move the slider whichever way you need it and then back it up.
    Its not the most precise way of doing it, but it does work.

4. Powa

Powa Regular member

Ok I've looked at Cuttermaran and TMPGEnc. They can't open the ripped files from DVD Decrypter (vob). They need to open mpv files or similiar? So how would I convert the ripped files to that?

Is there a way to keep the DVD files as they are so I can still use DVD Shrink after cutting it?

I looked at DVD Shrink with the start/end sliders and chapter selector. But I set the start position and end position, then I only end up with 2mins of video out of the whole movie. :O

5. Powa

Powa Regular member

bump

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

No matter how you do it, there will be reencoding involved. I haven't tried jim_dandy's suggestion for cutting out of the middle with dvd shrink, but it sounds like it would work.

I use MPEG2Cut, which works with VOB files.

7. Powa

Powa Regular member

Thanks bazilla, I tried MPEG2Cut out, but it was too basic. I wanted to cut the specific section out of the video and then save the new output. MPEG2Cut can't do that it seems.

Anyway that lead me on to find a program called MPEG-VCR and that worked wonders. I imported the VOB file, cut the bit out I didn't want and saved it as a VOB. So now that vob file is about 1GB minus the 30 MB I cut out. :)

Ok so I swapped the edited VOB file into the VIDEO_TS directory so I can then shrink the whole DVD and make a DVD image with DVD Shrink but it comes up with an error on the file I just edited:

Failed to open /.../.../VTS_01_1.VOB
    Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Argh! How can I fix that problem?

8. heimanan

heimanan Member

try cutting off the end of the movie to where the part you want cut in dvd shrink then process it. then cut off the front part past where you want to keep in dvd shrink and put them together as 2 movies all in dvd shrink

9. Powa

Powa Regular member

Ok I tried that heimanan and I thought it was going to work, but I ended up with two VTS_01_1.VOB files for the first and second cuts. So there was no way to join them unfortunately.

What I have managed to do is use MPEG-VCR and import all the VOB files, not just the one vob file I wanted to edit. So that's got me the whole movie and I cut out the bit I wanted and saved the whole movie as a MPEG file. No quality loss it seems in either the audio or video.

Now how do I get that MPEG file into DVD format?

10. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

MPEG2Cut would have worked. You were just looking for a shortcut that doesn't exist. At some point, you were going to get to where you have to encode new VOB files. Now you are there. ;)

There are lots of ways to do what you need to do now. I would use NeroVision Express (Version 3), because I have it, and its what I use for tasks like this. If you look at the guides here, you'll see other alternatives, like TMPGENC, more commonly recommended. You might be able to do what you want with DVD Rebuilder (look for it in the software section here, it will need another program to actually do the encoding). Another source for guides on this would be:

http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=3;6#3;6

11. Powa

Powa Regular member

Thanks Bazilla, NeroVision Express 3 worked perfectly. :)

It was complaining about the file size not fitting on a single layer DVD, but I saved the output as an image anyway and the image size came under the 4.38 GB (DVD-5). Then I burned that with normal Nero.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. :)

12. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Glad it worked for you. Always nice when something works, and we hear about it. Makes the time spent helping worthwhile.

I don't know what was going on with NVE3 saying the file wouldn't fit on a dvd, and yet it did, but NVE3 has transcoding quality options that can be used to set the bitrate so as to get the best quality possible, and yet still fit on a dvd5. They are buried away in the "More-->Video Options/DVD-Video" Tab.

13. Powa

Powa Regular member

Excellent, I'll remember that for next time. It'll save me having to DVD shrink it at some stage. Cheers :)