1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to display subs with standalone DVD/Divx player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by charlie-x, Dec 29, 2004.

1. charlie-x

charlie-x Guest

I recently bought a standalone DVD-recorder which can read Divx and - to my surprise(and joy) Xvid as well, with great picture quality.
    However, as I prefer to watch most of these movies with subtitles (I have the .srt-files), I wonder how I can get this player to display subs as well. Can I - somehow - "merge" these into the .avi - file?

A mindteaser? Or is there a simple solution?...I hope...

2. detroit0

detroit0 Member

uh.. it would help if you specified which player you have. I'm guessing it's the philips dvp642, which will not play vobsub .sub files. they are simply not supported. Why Philips would choose not to support one of the most popular subtitle formats in the world... is completely beyond me... especially when you consider the fact that vobsub playback is similar to dvd subtitle playback... gawd they could probably wire up the code in an afternoon to support subs by hacking over the dvd subtitle support. also... subs work SOOOOO much better than srts because you don't have all the font issues to deal with... you basically just show the titles that were put into the dvd mastering.